Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Arrested At Macys

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtfnanny

A couple of weeks ago I was wandering around Macy's just needing to get out of house and looking for summer clothing. I had a lot going on lately, was exhausted and had several errands to run. I saw some cookware that I llked when I first entered the store and went back and picked it up. No cashiers in the area and I realized I hadn't looked in adjacent area for summer clothes so took it with me. Stopped to look at a couple of blouses when i realized the time. I needed to take my medication, eat lunch, still more errands, etc. and I walked out of the store with almost $200 set of kitchenware. LP guy grabbed me from behind and I realized what I had done. I tried to tell him I had been going through H__ with my daughter lately. She had just gotten out of hospital from a severe beating husband had given her, CPS is investigating, etc., my brother-in-law had just passed away, etc. I would never intentionally take anything, I volunteer at my church constantly, they wouldn't listen. They told me they were going to collect some information and it would take about 20 minutes. 2 hours later they called police and had me arrested. I kept telling them I had to call and have my granddaughter picked up from school as I have custody, they didn't care, wouldn't let me have my cell phone, etc. I'm handicapped, wouldn't let me go to bathroom without begging as I was about to be sick,etc. Nobody knew where I was for over 7hours but the police did let me make one call to get her taken care of. I saw an attorney last week and he wanted $1500 and another $850 for a polygraph. Does this sound up and up? I don't have this kind of money and I honestly didn't mean to do this. I take all kinds of drugs for a back injury and I was upset. I would never take anything! Should I try another attorney?? Don't know what to do but know I need to do something pretty quick.

Re: Arrested At Store Name

I forgot, they told me I had to pay them $325 civil demand while I was being detained and I did. They also made me sign all kinds of papers but did not give me copies of all of them because I signed them that I did not do this intentionally and I don't have copies of these. I had over $700 on me as well as credit cards and did not hide this. Police searched my purse later and found nothing. I did not try to take anything intentionally.

Sadly your "intent" cannot be proved but fact you walked out with unpaid for merchandise can. If you intend to fight this it will cost much more than $1500.00 and its not likely you can win. Your reason wont matter much and everyone always has an excuse. If you cannot afford an Attorney you can ask for Public defender. When you meet with this Public defender ask him if diversion is available to you. By the way what state did this happen in?

So you "forgot" to pay for a $200 item? You know who else forgot? Everyone I've arrested in 14 years.

A bit of advice, when you go to court, don't give the excuses, the judge has heard them all before. Work with a public defender and try to get diversion.

I know you don't believe me, but I didn't put it in a bag even though I was carrying an eco friendly one along with my purse. I had it in my hand and just walked out. Sorry I inconvenienced you.

You must understand storedetective hears that excuse 99 times out of 100 and basically in all 99 its a lie. No one is accussing you of lieing just that the defense you have put forth isnt likely to succeed. Regardless you basically left store with unpaid for merchandise and that is theft

Admin said:
You must understand storedetective hears that excuse 99 times out of 100 and basically in all 99 its a lie. No one is accussing you of lieing just that the defense you have put forth isnt likely to succeed. Regardless you basically left store with unpaid for merchandise and that is theft

I myself got into shoplifting situation and I am putting my husband's carrier at risk...don't know what to do...I am so ashamed!

StoreDetectiveVet said:
So you "forgot" to pay for a $200 item? You know who else forgot? Everyone I've arrested in 14 years.

A bit of advice, when you go to court, don't give the excuses, the judge has heard them all before. Work with a public defender and try to get diversion.

Im not saying anyone is wrong or right but let me tell you what happened to me last week, I was in a shop with my two children buying shoes, one was getting really cranky(in stroller) so i gave HIM a pair of DORA shoes to play with to keep him quiet, anyway he put it on his feet without me noticing...so i bought my stuff and left the store, when I walked to my car my boy said, put back the shoes mommy! and i only realized we walked out of the store with DORA shoes still on his feet, so I went back and placed it back in the store, easily I could've been stopped and the same thing happen to me as this person in this post!!! And it was indeed an honest mistake!! Dont just judge everyone!!!

You need to understand store dective vets view. He hears reasoning like yours almost daily. In 90 cases out of 100 its a lie. He deals with this everyday. I understand your view but you need to understand his as well

Never thought I'd need this site but no one is exempt from trouble. Went into a large store shopping and purchased several items at several registers. At the last register went into the dressing room and tried on blouses and pants with some of the items I purchased earlier. After seeing if they went together I folded up the items I had paid for and took the unpaid items to the clerk I was working with. I had my bag (use a shopping bag, not plastic) my purse and my hat plus the unpaid items in the other hand. Had a bad headache and was late for the medication I take for a brain tumor so was in a hurry. AFter I left the store two people ran after me to ask me to come back in the store. I said sure, thought I had left something behind in my haste. In soon became obvious they thought I had stolen something. I looked down at my belongings and said "Oh, didn't I pay for this hat? I'm sorry, I'm sure I paid for it" and got really scared at that point. Keep saying I'm sorry didn't mean to not pay etc. When we got in the backroom four people started on me going through my purse and my bag and my pockets and calling me shoplifter. I insisted I paid for everything in my bag. They said theres no tag on the hat and I said then I must have paid for it. Have to explain with the brain tumor I am easily confused and have a bad memory short term. They said they had me on camera bringing three items into dressing room and coming out with two. Sure enough when I was folding up the clothes I had tried on (the ones already paid for) I inadvertently put a blouse on top of the pile before I went out and paid for all the other items. I tried to explain the brain tumor and memory problems and why would I steal a 15.00 blouse and pay for 200.00 for the other clothes? They just continued to berate me. I asked if I needed to call family because I was ill and needed medication and they said to tell the police officer what happened and he would decide. After the longest hour of my life officer showed up and put me in handcuffs and took me to jail. I've never been in trouble and my last speeding ticket was over 43 years ago. No one would help me no one would even answer questions. I wasn't able to make a phone call for several hours and by now I was 8hours overdue for pain medication and was going throuogh horrible withdrawal. They did tell me my family had left me there but neglected to tell me I could have bonded myself out hours ago. The only people that tried to comfort me were the so called criminals. I thought I was going to have a seizure and my blood pressure was so high it wouldn't register. I asked for an ambulance to take me to the hospital and they refused, twice. When I asked for some water they said the only water was in the sink and in the toilet. My family was still there and was insisting they give me my medication or they would hold the jail responsible if anything happened to me. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. The store wouldn't let me pay for the item, just wanted to make an example and the people from the store all came out to watch me placed in the police car. It was absolutely horrible. There was no sympathy, just "We got you". They knew when I was at the register there was a blouse still in the dressing room. Why didn't they ask me there? Because then they couldn't catch me and justify their jobs..Now I won't leave the house or answer the phone because I am terrified of doing or saying something wrong. Very sad way for a terminally ill person to have to spend their last time. Truth doesn't matter, circumstances don't matter, catching you does.

Not sure what your questions are if any. I will say this although I am truly sorry this happened nothing they did was unlawful.

Really didn't have a question just a statement that sometimes there are circumstances that should be taken into consideration. I think lying to me and saying the police officer had the option of arresting me or not when that was not the case at all and not giving me the opportunity to call for help when I needed it was, at the least, insensitive. Did I have something in my bag when I left the store, yes I did. Did I mean to steal anything? No I didn't. I felt the salesperson who was helping me could have said "Didn't I put x amount in the dressing room? At that point if I lied, I should be stopped. I just didn't realize I had laid it on top of all the paid for merchandise. I'm sure they hear I'm innocent from everyone but I found out the hard way people are human and make mistakes. Instead of helping someone before they leave the store seems to be something they just won't do. They want to catch you. One of the policewoman I spoke to at the jail said she had walked out of a store with some cards she had stuck in the side of her purse and she just forgot. When she said she was police they just let her go. I spent 200 and a 15.00 blouse sends me to jail. Interestingly enough when they went through my bag and receipts I had paid for an item that WASN'T in my bag. Store personell had not put it in after I paid for it. That was just ignored by all. I didn't know where it was and they didn't care. They didn't give me the money back for my missing item....doesn't smell right.

One problem is so many shoplifters use reason like yours but they are not telling the truth. Legally you shoplifted and the store may choose to prosecute for this. I realize your frustration but legally nothing was done wrong. Your real frustration might go out to the thousands of real shoplifters who use similar reason as excuses making both retailers and Police cold so your situation. Have you recieved a court date and Civil demand letter yet? You can of course fight this in court if you so choose

I have a court date and an attorney and medical records to substantiate my diagnosis. When at the store I admitted it was in my bag but I had no memory of putting it there and it was obviously mixed up with all the items I had paid for. The worst part was the store flat out lied to me and said tell the officer what happened and he can decide what to do. I would have called family for help if they had told me the truth. It was a real life lesson that night. The so called criminals were the only ones that seemed to help me. I could have bond out (think thats the phrase) but no one even told me that. I know shoplifters come from all walks of life and no one is better than anyone else but no one would listen. The salesclerk that put me in the dressing room had everything at the register and I said I would take it all. If I as a clerk I would have said do you want the other blouse that I brought in? Then I would have realized the mistake. Somehow I thought someone had to read you some rights or tell you what was going on. When I asked to go to the hospital on two occasions they said no. My blood pressure was so high it was unreadable. Finally someone was able to get a 230/130 pressure which is extrememly dangerous. I thought I was going to die right there. Not a fan of people that steal because it drives up prices for all of us and they're high enough as it is. My real awakening was the lack of compassion and the need to be right and just to get someone no matter what. I'm not a 20 year old, I'm a senior citizen who is terminally ill. It just didn't matter and the store security laughed at me when I said I had a brain tumor. Still find it interesting that I'm actually missing an item I paid for that they didn't find in the bag. Where is that?? I guess when it's their error it doesn't matter.

The cashier was not obligated to tell you that you had an item concealed. In fact he/she may not have known. I understand what your trying to say but this will either cost thousands in legal fees to fight or hundreds to make a deal. There is no guarantee of victory if you fight this.In theory your saying your not safe out alone if you can forget a simple thing like this. That might be the avenue DA pursues if you fight this.
DA: "Mr. Pat please tell the court how many times in last 60 days you forgot to pay your bills, tie your shoes, put on underwear etc etc"

See where I am going? The DA will also counter with the countless cases he sees everyday where shoplifters claim 'they forgot". Will your Doctor take the stand? If so DA can cross examine him. His credibilty could be attacked which could harm business. In short this is your call but it will be a costly uphill battle at very least

Maybe I just wasn't clear. I admit and did admit to the store I hadn't paid for the item. I put in on the top of my bag in error after I had taken some clothes out of the bag to try on with some new items. As for your analogy on how many times in the last sixty days did I forgot...just that morning I forgot my address when a repairman was at my house. Had to look at my license. Underwear, at least twice, that I remember. No intention of trying to dispute I had the item because I did. When you have a serious illness and it affects your memory it seems someone would be willing to understand sometimes people make mistakes, which this was. In the past year I have been able to leave the bed/house on average 4 days a month. When I am well enough I try to suck every last minute of life I have before I am totally housebound. Like I said, shoplifting costs us all, I offered to pay for it and even stay out of the store and had never been in any trouble before. Compassion is free and hopefully none of them ever puts a card on the side of their cart so it doesn't get damaged or put in on the outside of a purse to protect it and then forget it's there. It's no fun and I certainly, at least from the way I was treated, have a very different view of the so called criminals and the people who have power over you.

I never did not understand your situation. My fear was you would spend thousands to fight this and still lose.

After much angst and embarassment we hired a lawyer to defend me. The lawyer said he deals with these things every day and a store has the final say on arresting someone or not arresting someone. When I told him the name of the store and what had happened and the fact that I asked if I was going to be arrested for this because if I was I needed to call family for help as I am terminally ill and needed medication. The store said the police officer had the final say, which was untrue. The attorney felt I should not have been arrested and what happened to me could have happened to anyone, especially someone ill and with a memory problem. Long story short he called today and said the charges had been dismissed and he wanted to file suit against the store and the employees who held me after I asked for help from my family or an ambulance called. He will do this pro bono so I wouldn't be financially injured. Sometimes people make mistakes and thats all they are, mistakes. I don't think arresting everyone is the answer. Logic has to come in sometime in the situation. As the attorney said "Why would you pay for everything and try and steal the least expensive (10.00) thing you had?" And I still had several hundred dollars in cash in my wallet. My most important lesson in this experience was some deep compassion for the so called "criminals" I encountered in my stay. They were the only people who tried to comfort me and not belittle me in any way. And I don't intend to file suit against the store but hopefully next time they might use a little more logic.

Its not as simple as you think and the stores create polices that suit best their needs. They will not apply everywhere as a coverall solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back