Are my patient's medial records secure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NYMPQuery

Hi,

I owned and ran a family medicine practice, which I sold to a larger practice, whilst continuing to work as a part of their practice. I signed a contract to hand over my patient lists, records and charts to the larger practice. My patients' physical records were handed over but the electronic records were not, as the program that I use was registered in my name.

However, disputes have arisen which let to the termination of my employment there. I want to retain the electronic health records of my patients who I am going to attend to when I reestablish my practice.

My EHR company is ready to transfer the patient records based on the agreement I signed with the larger practice, without me authorizing them to do so. How can I stop them from doing this? Won't this transfer of patient records be a violation of HIPAA?

Thanks

Hi,

I owned and ran a family medicine practice, which I sold to a larger practice, whilst continuing to work as a part of their practice. I signed a contract to hand over my patient lists, records and charts to the larger practice. My patients' physical records were handed over but the electronic records were not, as the program that I use was registered in my name.

However, disputes have arisen which let to the termination of my employment there. I want to retain the electronic health records of my patients who I am going to attend to when I reestablish my practice.

My EHR company is ready to transfer the patient records based on the agreement I signed with the larger practice, without me authorizing them to do so. How can I stop them from doing this? Won't this transfer of patient records be a violation of HIPAA?

Thanks

Generally, when a professional sells his or her practice, that sale transfers all assets.
You no longer have any claim to your practice.

That said, I suggest you discuss this with your attorney.
You don't want internet advice about something this valuable and important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back