Are forced direct bank withdrawals legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggiebones

I've had my kids in a daycare for years and have NEVER missed a payment.
Can they insist on my paying by forced direct bank withdrawal? And give no other options? Is it a case of if you don't like it, get out? Or can they legal not do this?
I would prefer to give check like I have for 5 years or pay by bill pay FROM my bank.

They just sent this form out yesterday ( I replaced the actual school with the term daycare X):

"For those who elect to pay tuition by check, please note that Daycare X will no longer accept checks for paying tuition. Tuition will only be done through automatic bank withdrawal. By signing the authorization form, attached, you grant Daycare X the authority to automatically debit bi-weekly or monthly charges to your personal checking or savings account as tuition becomes due.

Please fill the attached form and return it no later than Friday, April 8th.

Daycare X tuition payment plan will be available only through automatic bank drafts.

Daycare X will transmit your debit information to our bank for processing. The information will then be transmitted to your bank or savings institution for
withdrawal from your account.

Dishonored Payment - If your bank refuses any automatic deduction, a fee of $30.00 may be assessed. If we are unable to deduct sufficient funds on your due date, we will request a replacement payment by check or money order. Additional fees may be imposed by your bank. "

Thanks to all who give advice

Sure, a business can request you pay them a certain way.
You can refuse, and take your business elsewhere.

It is located on the campus where I work. It is kinda hard to get into due to its location. I work about 30 minutes from home, so staying is the best option.

It just doesn't seem legal for them to demand access to my account. I should be given alternative options to pay. I'm not happy about it, but have no alternative but to bend over to their demands. I was hoping for some legal recourse to avoid this, but alas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back