Archery in the suburbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

shamlin

This is a new type of neighbor harrasment. I bought my house 6 years ago and specifically bought it because of the 22 acre wood lot behind my property. I shoot competitive archery and it was the perfect house to practice my trade. Shortly after moving in, my neighbor had done some pretty amazing things. It all started when my friends from Ohio and driven down for a weeks vacation to go fishing. Not being able to distinguish where my property line was, they parked their boat and truck on the road but a little near his property. My neighbor than went and turned on his sprinkler system essentially filling my friends boat up with water. Myself and my friends confronted him and it got ugly. Fast forward 1 year later and my family is out back shooting archery like we have always done and he calls the police. They show up and after talking with me, inform the neighbor that I am doing nothing wrong. Two days later he threatens my son by getting his bow(didn't know he had one) and shooting an arrow over his head into the woods and threatening to not miss him the next time. I immediately call the police who tell me that without the arrow they cannot do anything. He also has brandished a very large pistol in a threatening way while my kids are outside. Once again, cops say they can do nothing about it. So 3 days ago the chief of police stops by to inform me that my neighbor has contacted everyone in city government to complain about my archery shooting. Although there is no law against it, I could be charged with reckless handling of a weapon. I am a Pro archer and believe me...not reckless, but that is also a very broad word when used in the proper context. I got the feeling that the chief just wanted me to stop to remedy the situation. I want to file suit for harrasment charges or something, but not sure if I have a case. Any advice?

When your neighbor shot an arrow over your son's head he may have committed a felony. Depending on the circumstances, the police may treat it as an assault with a deadly weapon, or possibly as criminal threats. The arrow is not needed... you should recontact them and speak to a sergeant or lieutenant about this, but regardless of the outcome, you should seek a restraining order against your neighbor.

The brandishing of the pistol is another obvious felony.

Did they even speak to the neighbor about your complaint or did they just tell you they can't do anything? It sounds like very lazy police work.

In the mean time, there is absolutely nothing wrong with practicing archery on your own private property... just be careful that you don't overshoot your property onto someone else's. Doing so is not illegal, but you would be responsible for anything that happens. If during your practicing you are shooting in the general direction of the neighbor's house, try to shoot another direction.

Anyway- if you are feeling like the police are against you in this, help yourself by obtaining a restraining order against the neighbor. If he contests it then you will have your opportunity in court to discuss the prior threats and brandishing. If his behavior after the order is in effect then you can report the violation of the order every time it occurs.

Anyway, you certainly do have a case. If the threats and brandishing incidents are still recent, then you need to take it up with the police and demand action. It is for the attorney's to decide if there is enough evidence to prosecute, not the police officer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back