Applying for Disability/SSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstennant

I have been struggling my entire life with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and severe depression/ manic dpression. I applied for SSI in January since I have not worked enough to apply for disability. I was turned down the first time within 2 weeks. I appealed a little over a month ago. I have been contacted by the person who is in charge of processing my case. They are wanting the medical records from my early teens now. They didn't ask for this the first time I applied. (Why, I dont know). And they got another copy of the records from my current psychiatrist and therapist. Does anyone think that maybe this is making my chances of getting approved for SSI better since they will now have proof that it has been something that I have delt with since at least my early teens? How far back would they go with back pay if I would be approved since they have proof that I have struggled with this my whole life. Is $672 really the limit on how much I can receive a month? (Not trying to sound greedy just trying to figure out how to pay the bills) Thanks for any advice someone could give.

In SSI only cases, most analysts ask for only one year prior to the application assuming this will give a good history. The fact that the reconsideration analyst did ask for a more lengthy history shows that s/he is willing to give your case a through review. It does not suggest a different decision.
Your case will be bolstered if the new records show a history of frequent hospitalizations and/or decompensation in a work setting.
You may help yourself by providing a history of work attempts in the past fifteen years and, if true, how your condition affected your ability to perform that job and/or caused you to quit, or be fired. (You may have provided a work history before but did you go into detail about how your condition affected your ability to work? It is not too late to add this information to you file.)
Again, because you are applying only for SSI, if approved, you will receive benefits only from the month in which your most recent initial, not reconsideration, application was filed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back