Naturalization, Citizenship Applying for citizenship from overseas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJJ808

Hi: this might be a tricky question, but if anyone has any ideas what the procedure is, I'd be grateful to know.

I am a UK citizen, married my husband and lived in the U.S. for about five years. Got my 10-year green card. And we recently came back to the UK as my husband was offered a temp contract with a U.S. firm in London.

We are not sure how long his contract might run for and when and if we will return to the U.S. But I am keen to apply for my citizenship as soon as possible, and am aware that there are ways you can apply based on the fact your spouse has been posted overseas with a U.S. company. I'm assuming that I'd have to come back to the U.S. each time to go through the interview process and all that. But if anyone has any ideas as to when and how to apply...

We have been back in the Uk since end of March, and the contract my husband is on runs til December, and we wont know until then if we are going to be heading back to the U.S.

All ideas most welcome.

Thanks...

Trying to become a civilian Citizen from abroad would take forever and would require you to return to the US at some point given your GC is valid. You can't do it except under extraordinary circumstance which you don't meet. It is reserved for special classes of embassy staff, military and a few special classes. You would not qualify easily qualify......because you are not even under contract too nor are you prevented from traveling because of an extenuating circumstance. Don't forget GC requires you travel to the US at least once a year..... Even if you qualified by some luck it is long and your place on the line would be at least a couple of years. You could travel back to the US and do it in five months!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back