Applying for a Ohio Job

Paul

Jurisdiction
Ohio
I recently applied for a job and in the job application I agreed to it said can be terminated with or without cause, is this legal and why? Should I work for this company knowing I can be fired without cause? Delaware is the city in Ohio.

This is quite legal and is, in fact, the default employment status in this country. Most private employment in the US is employment at will, meaning that you can quit at any time and for any reason, and you can be fired for any reason not specifically prohibited by law. Only if you have a legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA that expressly limits your employer's right to fire you is this not the case.

Put another way, it would have been true that you could have been terminated for any or no reason whether they put it in the application or not. At least this company was open enough to tell you up front.

Since you can be fired without cause from most companies in the US, this is really no reason to exclude this one from your consideration.

Even if it wasn't in the job application, it would still hold true. Good luck on your job search.

Back