Applying for a marriage license before divorce ramifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

XaoZoov

I went through a very bitter divorce where we seemed to over excel and be one of only 4% of all divorces that went to trial. The divorce has been going on for over a year and was supposed to be over a while ago, but something has always popped up. The latest was after the final trial date (that's all over now), her attorney had a brother die, so that delayed it for three weeks, then it was the holiday's and the judge went on vacation for another couple of weeks. My attorney said the judge just returned a week or so ago so it is all in his hands now. Once he does submit a judgement, the attorney's will write it up, and file it with the courts.

However, since this was all supposed to be done, my fiance had scheduled and already booked to get married on Valentine's day. I know, shouldn't plan before everything was final, but we thought everything would be OK since it was at least three months away from the final court date. It is an out of state wedding and we have a ton of friends and family coming to it, so needless to say, we are stressing to figure our what to do with only 3.5 weeks before our scheduled wedding date that is already paid for and people have airfare and hotel.

The two of us are OK with not being legally married, but we would be mortified if we have to tell everyone who has spent their money to come see us "Thanks for coming, but never mind."

We are thinking about getting the Marriage license, performing the ceremony, but not signing the license after the ceremony and requesting the chapel not submit the license to the courts, so we would not be married and I would not be committing bigamy.

Our question is, how much trouble could one get in Nevada (where getting married) or here in Illinois for just "applying" for the license and saying this month was the final divorce date, but never filing for it?

Could my "not soon enough to be EX" do anything to me or bring a case up against me? What's the likelihood of being prosecuted for applying for a marriage license in this case?

Any help would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back