Apartment complex claims I didn't give notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

corinne

My last apartment community had a stipulation in the lease that I was required to give 30 days written notice when I wanted to move out.

I wrote a notice up, two months in advance, and dropped it off at the office.

After I moved out I received a bill for one months rent, saying that I never gave my notice that I was moving out.

I called the complex and explained to them that I DID indeed give notice. They wouldn't help me, so I called the management company and told them about the problem. They were not willing to work with me, either.

I just received a phone call from a debt collector. They were very rude and insisted that I pay the bill, and when I refused, they said they were going to call my work.

Any advice as to how I handle this situation?

First do not let them call your work. Secondly I would send the management company a certified letter stating that you will sue them if they do not call off their collection agent. I would send a letter to the collection agent stating that you do not owe the bill and you will not be paying it. You are demanding they cease and desist their telephone calls all together. If they don't stop, go to a small claims court action against the management company.

I told the collections agency to stop calling me at home and not to call my work, they said they were going to call my work to get employment confirmation.

Last night about 4 minutes after the collection agent hung up on me (they hung up on me 3 times yesterday), I got a call from a restricted number. It was a girl that sounded EXACTLY like the collections agent.

She kept asking "Who is this??" and I wouldn't say my name, and then she said "You're really f*cking stupid" and hung up. The sound of the disconnection was exactly the same as the agencys disconnect.

Why would they do THAT? Maybe it was just a coincidence.

In any event, even after I told them to quit calling, they keep calling me. My first call today was at 801 AM.

I do not have a copy of the letter I sent. I didn't even think to save it.

Like I said, SEND A LETTER to tell them that you do not owe the money and that you are demanding (according the the Fair debt collection practices act) that they cease and desist calling you at all except to notify you of future actions (like a suit). Also send a letter to your apartment managers notifying them you do not owe the money and I would notify them of how their collection agents are acting. Warn them that they are liable for any legal breaches committed by their collection agency while they are trying to collect this invalid debt. Give them 10 days to comply and then file suit against the apartment managers.

Stop answering phone calls with restricted numbers or numbers you don't know... the more they contact you on the phone the more they will call back. Arguing with them on the phone won't change anything.
Write a letter disputing the charge as suggested above. Once they receive that then there should at least be a pause in things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back