Anything else we should do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chewy123

My husband's uncle has left him $50,000 in his will. The will reads that this is to be paid out of money in the bank. The executor tells us that there is that much money in the bank. The will also reads that any debts will be paid out of that same money in the bank first, with my husband getting any remaining balance up to the $50k. The executor assures us that there is only one possible outstanding debt, a $300 medical bill. The doctor said they never got paid, but Medicaid says that they sent the bill to the deceased. The executor says that he needs to see the Medicaid canceled check to see where that money ended up. The executor cannot find the canceled check itself. Either way, the executor says that my husband won't have to pay that out of his inheritance as there is extra money in the bank to pay for this.

Anyway, the man to be the executor says that he can't make any dispersement until my husband signs a form stating that any creditors have the right to come and take back some or all of the $50k in order to pay the deceased debts, pursuant to Ohio Revised 2117.06 (6 months). The form is from "Probate Court of xxxxx county, Ohio" and is a "Notice to Distributee- R.C. 2113.533"- By the way, that code looks to be repealed. The part that concerns us is "You may be required to return the distribution, or you may be liable for the repayment of the distribution, if a valid claim is later made against the estate within the time permitted under section 2117.06 of the Revised Code."

The deceased also had large medical bills, but according to the executor they have been handled by Medicaid. I read that the Revised Code 2117.061 allows Medicaid to possibly come after the money for up to a year after the decease.

So, should I sign the Notice to the Distributee? And if I do this, does it still mean that I can't spend any of the money for a year?

Anything else I forgot to ask about?

If you want the money now you will have to sign. Otherwise wait until the six months is up and the estate is closed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back