Any Possible Recourse on Purchase of a Used Lemon?

Analyst30

Jurisdiction
Illinois
Hello,

My name is Andy and I'm brand new to the forum. My question relates to a used 2001 Chevy Blazer that my father purchased from a private party. The only document he signed was a Bill of Sale that the seller hand wrote on notebook paper. It states the following:

"I (name of seller) am selling a 2001 Chevrolet Blazer 2DR 4 wheel drive vehicle to: (name of buyer...my father) serial number (XXXXXXXXXXX) for $2,500 cash."

My father bought the vehicle because of its 4 wheel drive feature, however after purchasing the car he tried putting it into 4WD, only to find out it was broken and could only be used as a 2WD vehicle (among many other problems such as oil leaks, etc. that the seller did not notify my father about).

I realize there is no Lemon Law on used vehicles in the State of Illinois, however is there any course of action he can take to get his money back and return the car to the seller? I'm not an attorney by any means, however I was wondering if there's a way out of this due to the wording on the Bill of Sale I mentioned above ("...4 wheel drive vehicle..."), as well as the fact that nowhere does it mention that the purchase is being made "as-is".

If anyone can chime in on this I would GREATLY appreciate it. My father is a very good, kind man, and bought the vehicle so he could sell his more expensive one to use the proceeds to help me out financially. I hate to see him get taken advantage of, especially when his intentions were to help out his son. He intends to drive the used vehicle that he purchased on a daily basis, and the Blazer that was sold to him is far from reliable. He would have to put as much, if not more money into repairs than the purchase price of the car itself. Please, I would be grateful for any help at all.

Thank you!

-Andy

Sorry, but there is no help.

All used vehicles are sold AS IS unless the seller provides a warranty.

That the bill of sale says "4 wheel drive" is not a warranty or a guarantee. In the absence of that phrase the VIN would decode as a 4 wheel drive vehicle which is also not a warranty or a guarantee of its operability.

As long as the seller didn't actually misrepresent anything it was up to your father to thoroughly inspect and test all of the vehicle's features that he would depend on.

Let's face it, a 15 year old vehicle with (I'm guessing) well over 100,000 miles (maybe closer to 200,000 miles at that price) is guaranteed to have problems and if your father wasn't knowledgeable enough about auto mechanics he should have had a qualified mechanic put the vehicle through it's paces (and on a lift) and all its ills would have been discovered.

Your father is out of luck.

Next time have a vehicle checked out by a mechanic first. If the seller refuses that then run away from the deal.

Sorry but a private sale of a used vehicle is bought "as is." Your Father should have had the vehicle checked out before buying.

Back