Drug Crimes, Substance Abuse Anticipating sentencing

R

reginafalange

Jurisdiction
Colorado
My friend has been a struggling heroin addict for the past couple of years. Recently his bail bondsman found him and turned him in. His original charges were: F4: Possession of a controlled substance (heroin), F5: Criminal trespassing/breaking & entering. His current charges online are 4 different accounts of 5015 Failure To Appear, 1 account of 5001 Vio of Bail Bond Cond statute: 18-8-212, and a sixth charge of 4902 Fugitive of justice. What are the possible outcomes? Has he completely ruined any chances of probation? How long of a sentence is he looking at serving? Will it be prison or jail? Thank you for your time.

My guess, just a guess mind you, is prison.
How long?
In your state, where prisons don't face overcrowding issues, limited state budgets, and average crime stats; anywhere from 5 to 8 years.
Miracles do happen everyday.
So, that's just a guess.
Have him ask his lawyer for a more accurate guess.
His lawyer knows the judges in your county, I don't.
If he was convicted, or plead out before me, I'd have given 10 years with 6 suspended.
That means he'd have been sentenced to serve 4 years, with good time, he could have paroled out after 2 - 2 1/2 years to serve 6 years on parole, max.
With his record of shenanigans I would have made the probation SUPERVISED (a leg bracelet for two years) with a provision he stay CRIME FREE, or return to serve six if he messed up.

His results will certainly be different.

However, your friend is like most people, he's his own worst enemy.

Back