Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Answering a ?? on an application for a handgun incorrectly by accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

babyblueyes

My mother was in the middle of a big legal mix up several months ago and between the charge itself and her court date, she was looking in to applying for a handgun for a gift for my brother. On the application it had asked if she had ever been convicted of a felony, to which she answered "no" because she hadn't even gone to court yet. Several months later she did go to court and it was reduced to a misdemeanor. Anyways, about a month ago the police came to our house with a warrant for my mothers arrest, the charge being "Providing a false statement on an application for a firearm." My mother is a little "older" and also gets very easily confused. She says she isn't 100% sure if the question was have you ever been convicted of a felony or have you ever been charged with a felony. Either way, what kind of trouble is she looking at? She would have NEVER knowingly, lied on something as serious as an application for a gun. Any advice would be VERY appreciated....because her court date is Friday. Thank you so much.

Her Friday court date is likely an arraignment where they formally notify her of the charges and make arrangements for legal counsel.
She doesn't need quick answers, just patience. Obtain an attorney either privately or appointed by the court and let the attorney sort it out.
To be found guilty the prosecution would have to prove she knowingly falsified the document, and that can be hard.

If I recall correctly, the line on the gun application also reads: or are you currently under indictment for a felony, or being charged with a felony.

Read things that can cause you to be ineligible for a gun purchase in VA, from your VSP:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_PurchaseEligibility.shtm

I may be a tad off on the EXACT wording, but the gist of the statement is to ensure that you can't buy a gun while under indictment, or awaiting a case for a felony charge.

Mom is in big trouble. Unless she has a mental health issue, or is suffering from senility or dementia, this is a big deal these days. It's best NOT to explain. It never helps.

As MM said, wait, plead not guilty, hire a lawyer, or ask the court if she qualifies for a public defender.

This might also be turned over the Feds, if the local persecutor and police want to be mean and/or spiteful. I tell defendants, that's a better result, if you're prison or probation bound. The federal system is better funded and does make a few shallow attempts at rehabilitation, rather than retribution.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back