Another Rental application...

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddy219773

I have been living in the same house for 2 years in February. I pay rent EVERY month, I am not a "squatter". I signed a lease in Feb. 2011 unfortunately the property manager at the time passed away in I believe September of 2011 ( I didn't find out for a couple of months). When the actual owner of the house contacted me in October or November of 2012 she said to just make the checks payable to her directly instead of the deceased property manager. So I have been doing this ever since. I never signed a new lease when my old lease expired. My husband whom is very handy has always done repairs and maintained the property to not have to burden our landlord. Until recently everything was going fine, that is until the 4th of this month. My rent is due on the 1st with a 3 day grace period and after that I am late and have to pay a 25 dollar late fee. So..my landlord text messages on the 4th consistently while I am at work (OBGYN's office) I am in exam rooms getting frustrated after explaining I am at work to her. I ended up telling her I will have the rent for her but I cant talk. She tells me "you can add the late fee to it" I said Ok I will also make sure my husband doesn't do anything else free labor for this house and I will not have him a call a friend (ac guy) to fix issues anymore. You can do it. 3 days later I get a message saying she is getting another property manager, & wants to meet with me, I agree. They come to my house today and I give them a list of letigitamate problems in the house...major ones. My patio door has HUGE hole from water damage due to not having a roof on the deck of patio (until my husband put one on) which in original lease I definitely wrote down and was told they would replace the door that same week, rust in all the pipes that have running water, my little girls windows are screwed down because the locks do not work, and her room is like a sauna its so hot. The ac doesn't flow in there. Just to list a few of the issues...theres a lot more. But this new "property agent" wants my husband and myself to fill out another application. I do not have any nor my husband have any criminal backgrounds at all. But in my old application since my income met the requirements to live here. I only had to put him down as a tenant. But did not have to pay for 2 application fees. And this application is really odd...the first page of it has no company logo, it doesn't even say if its a rental application, it's page 1 but numbered page 2?? And it asks if we have any "special skills such as painting, carpentry, electrical, etc... it also says it goes off of my credit score??? Why...I have been paying rent here for 2 years....can they actually not re rent to me because I owe a credit card bill or medical bills?? And is this application legal...why do they need to know if we are handy in carpentry or painting? Someone please help me...I don't know what to do. :(

If you don't want to do a new lease their way, you can refuse.
Then they'll probably serve you with legal notice to quit.
If you refuse, they'll try to evict you for paying your rent consistently late, or not completing a new rental application and/or lease.

Or, because you're a pain to have as a tenant, or you're ugly, stupid, maybe you stink, maybe your teeth are yellow, or just because she doesn't like you - just guessing, but as you can see, you can be evicted just because.....

Eventually, you'll be served with a court summons for eviction.
You'll appear, defend, judge will listen, order you to leave.
You have no right to rent there, nor does she have to ave a reason to want you gone.
She just has to LEGALLY evict you, or you can be smart and leave before an eviction stains your record.

Either way, you do what they say, or you face eviction proceedings in the end.

You can start seeking new digs now, play it her way, or wait to get evicted.

Once an eviction has been filed, you'll find very few decent properties will rent to you, too.

Last edited:
You need to consider signing another new application/lease. If you decide not to, you will most likely eventually be legally evicted.

I am not opposed to signing a lease, application etc...I just don't quite understand this particular "criteria" this application says it reviews. I don't believe my "credit score" should deem me unworthy of continuing to live in a house where I have payed rent for 2 years now. I don't agree with the application itself...The "first page" of this application has No company name, does not say its even a rental application, and it says it's page 2...but it's actually page 1?? I just never heard of such a thing. I think they absolutely should and have the right to have All of my criminal(which is none) history, I have never even had speeding ticket...I'm 35 years old, I don't object to them making sure my income qualifies or even to make sure I have never had an eviction...I just disagree with a credit score, or if I have "special skills...painter, plumber, electrical?"??...I mean Im not trying to buy this house I just want this to be fair both ways. Isnt there law that governs what they can ask of you in an application?

I am not opposed to signing a lease, application etc...I just don't quite understand this particular "criteria" this application says it reviews. I don't believe my "credit score" should deem me unworthy of continuing to live in a house where I have payed rent for 2 years now. I don't agree with the application itself...The "first page" of this application has No company name, does not say its even a rental application, and it says it's page 2...but it's actually page 1?? I just never heard of such a thing. I think they absolutely should and have the right to have All of my criminal(which is none) history, I have never even had speeding ticket...I'm 35 years old, I don't object to them making sure my income qualifies or even to make sure I have never had an eviction...I just disagree with a credit score, or if I have "special skills...painter, plumber, electrical?"??...I mean Im not trying to buy this house I just want this to be fair both ways. Isnt there law that governs what they can ask of you in an application?

Your opinion is of no matter, import, or consequence to the NEW owner.

The new owner wants a new contract.

You can refuse to complete the application, and you'll probably be evicted.

Noting illegal about that.

The owner didn't ask you to discuss the decision with him or her, just compete the app, pay any fees, get approved or not.

Bottom line, no one cares what you think.

You are free to refuse.

By the way, we have less input into the decision than you do.

Convincing us, which you won't do, is useless.

We are simply providing you with information about the law in regards to the matter.

Thank you for trying to answer and help me with my question. I hope Im not annoying you. But I still don't have an actual answer. I live in Florida. The "owner" of this house has been the same owner since I was 7 years old. The actual owner didn't change. She "actual owner" is just wanting another "property manager". Which I am COMPLETELY fine with and agree with too. I am in no way trying to convince anything. I am only asking a question...actually a couple of them.
1. An application in this case for renewing my rental agreement for the house I live in...Is it required to state somewhere on that application (I usually see it at the top of most) "rental agreement" or something of that nature?
2. There are a total of 3 pages in length to it...But the first page is numbered 2, instead of 1. What if page one says...By filling out page 2 your are signing your life to the devil...Isn't it important for something that my social name etc is on for it to be numbered properly?
3. There are zero grounds to evict me. I pay rent the exact due date on my lease actually says it's due on the 15th of each month...so what would the eviction be for...not having a perfect credit score? LOL people whom rent typically don't, that why they rent. But I have zero evictions, zero criminal history. I am just confused. Not trying to convince anything other than trying to understand how this whole thing works.
Thank you again for trying to answer though. Greatly appreciated...truly.

Thank you for trying to answer and help me with my question. I hope Im not annoying you. But I still don't have an actual answer. I live in Florida. The "owner" of this house has been the same owner since I was 7 years old. The actual owner didn't change. She "actual owner" is just wanting another "property manager". Which I am COMPLETELY fine with and agree with too. I am in no way trying to convince anything. I am only asking a question...actually a couple of them.
1. An application in this case for renewing my rental agreement for the house I live in...Is it required to state somewhere on that application (I usually see it at the top of most) "rental agreement" or something of that nature?
2. There are a total of 3 pages in length to it...But the first page is numbered 2, instead of 1. What if page one says...By filling out page 2 your are signing your life to the devil...Isn't it important for something that my social name etc is on for it to be numbered properly?
3. There are zero grounds to evict me. I pay rent the exact due date on my lease actually says it's due on the 15th of each month...so what would the eviction be for...not having a perfect credit score? LOL people whom rent typically don't, that why they rent. But I have zero evictions, zero criminal history. I am just confused. Not trying to convince anything other than trying to understand how this whole thing works.
Thank you again for trying to answer though. Greatly appreciated...truly.

One last time, discuss your concerns with the owner or her agent.

None of what you say matters. You sign, or you don't.

The next step is up to the owner, ask her WHAT IF!!!

You are a month to month tenant.

She can simply decide she no longer wants to rent to you, no remain need be given, just notice.

In most situations your landlord does not need to give you a reason (although acting on discriminatory or retaliatory motives is illegal).

A landlord can simply give you a written notice to move, allowing you 15 days as required by Florida law and specifying the date on which your tenancy will end.

Your landlord may legally provide less notice if you have not paid rent, if you have violated other terms of your rental agreement (for example, bringing in an unauthorized tenant), or if you have violated basic responsibilities imposed by law (such as by dealing drugs on the rental property).

Bottom line, in FL for month to month tenants (that would be you) only a 15 day notice to vacate s required.

If you don't leave, then you are subject to eventual eviction proceedings.

What you do is of no moment, tater, or import to me.

No, I'm not annoyed. I do this dozens of times daily. I enjoy it.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back