Consumer Fraud Another internet email scam.....

army judge

Super Moderator
Jurisdiction
Africa
I have an email I use to respond to things such as sales, estimates, etc...

I received the unsolicited SCAM letter below.

I find them to be humorous, and I doubt that any of our regular posters would ever be bamboozled by these things.

Nevertheless, I find most of them to be amusing, a few hilarious.

Not to worry, there is no $15,800,000 US Dollars in a vault, because there is no vault. :D

==================================================================

From Mrs Bridggie William
Ave 12 Rue 123 Abobo 01
Cote D' Ivoire Abidjan

With Due Respect And Humanity, I was compelled to write to you under a humanitarian ground. My name is Mrs Bridggie William nationality of Mozambique .I am married to Mr. Francisco Willam director J.R Industries Cote d'Ivoire. We were married for 46 years without a child. He died after a Cadiac Arteries Operation.

And Recently, My Doctor told me that I would not last longer due to my cancer problem (cancer of the liver and stroke).Before my husband died last year there is this sum $15.8 Million Dollars that he deposited at the Security Valut here In Ivory Coast. Presently this money is still in the Vault. Having known my condition I decided to donate this fund to any good God fearing brother or sister that will utilize this fund the way I am going to instruct herein..

I want somebody that will use this fund according to the desire of mylate.husband to help Less privilaged people, orphanages,widows and propagating the word of God. I inherit this fund, And I don't want in any way where this money will be used in took this decision because I don't have any child that willan unGodly way. This is why I am taking this decision to hand you over this Fund.

I am not afraid of death hence I know where I am going.I want you to always remember me in your daily prayers because of my up coming Cancer Surgery. Write back as soon as possible any delay in your reply will give me room in sourcing another person for this same purpose.

Hoping to read from you asap.God bless you as you listening to the voice of reasoning.

Mrs Bridggie William

One wonders who would fall for this? I've actually investigated these scams, especially after a gullible woman I knew paid one of these fraudsters a few thousands dollars on a personal matter concerning a third party. I'm guessing that the language barrier contributed to the problem. The gist of the comment is that they send out millions and if someone is so gullible to fall for it, they will fall for anything. Sadly, it's most likely that it will be the elderly and vulnerable who are often the intended targets.

I love the first sentence. I can't imagine anyone falling for this, but sadly some people are very gullible.

The email scams get more convincing when they are on a more personal level. A couple of years ago I got an email from a close friend back east. The email came from his legitimate email address with which I was familiar. The gist of it was that my friend and his wife had gone on vacation to the Philippines and their hotel was broken into and all their belongings were taken (wallets, credit cards, etc) and my friend asked me for $2500 so he and his wife could get back to the states.

I have to be honest. The email gave me pause because this is a guy I have known for 45 years and I would have sent him the money in a heartbeat.

I phoned him and got his voice mail, left a message about the email but didn't get a call back right away so I started wondering if maybe he really was stranded in the Philippines.

Well, he finally called me a couple of days later and told me his email had been hacked and all of his contacts had received the same email and he had been digging his way out from under it. He's an insurance agent so there must have been hundreds or more to contact.

Fortunately, he got to everybody before anybody actually sent any money.

Back