another hoa late fee issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrislind

I'm being sued by hoa for nonpayment of 2007 fees-Im an out of state buyer and never knew there was an hoa- closing was a mailout, I've never seen the property- when lawsuit was pinned to the door, the tenant got it to the property manager and I found out I had an HOA. Typically, HOA's get the name of the new buyer from the title company via a settlement statement or a warranty deed. The warranty deed has a place on it for ny address but it isn't filled in. This is a document that does not have my signature. The settlement statement has my correct out of state address. I don't know which document they received and I don't think they'll tell me. They basically refer me to an attorney with a po box and no one ot answer his phone. Last call his mailbox was full so I can't even leave a message. I spoke with him briefly once and he told me that they sent certified mail to my last known address which was the rented house. It was never my address though as I never moved in. He said they presumed it was because it was the only address they could find through a "title search" . I happen to own one other home in San Antonio that I rent out as well. I called that HOA to discuss general procedures for HOA's and he gave me the website of BCAD.org which is Bexar county site where you can find property address info about owners, etc. I typed in my name and up came my proper mailing address on the 2nd house! It seemed so easy to find me- I believe that the collection effort was weak at best in terms of finding me and/or the title company was remiss in not providing my mailing address to the HOA and if the HOA received the settlement statement then they were given my correct address to begin with so it seems to me that I ought to seek redress from at least one of these parties- only downside is that the settlement statement does show a line item payment to "ASSET Property Management" for $100( 6 months of fees) that maybe Ishould have asked for clarification on from my realtor but there were so many line items on a settlement statement I didn't really ask about any- is this something I should try to fight? Who do I go after?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back