Annuity Fund Question

R

Rana125

Jurisdiction
Indiana
Hello,

I broke up with my domestic abuser a while ago. When I went back to get my things, he said he would keep me on his annuity/retirement fund in which I told him to keep his filthy money as I did not want it. He said he wouldn't do it. From what he told me a long time ago, his son would receive 75% of the funds, while I would recieve 25%, which according to him, was enough for a down payment of a house.

Now, my life, that he has threaten to harm on one-too-many occasions, is not worth $20-30,000. I am more interested in cutting off all ties and investing in my happiness. Also, his son is a drug addict/dealer and a very manipulative person. I want no future contact with my ex or his son. Since my abuser is also an alcoholic and a gambler, I am hoping he spends all the money before he dies, but in the off-chance he doesn't, what are my legal options? Can I force my abuser to take my name off his fund?

Or, if I cannot do that,

Can I avoid going to court with his son over my portion of the money by saying I don't want it? Would I be responsible for any legal/court fees if I go this route?

Or, can I simply ignore the fund/his lawyer's petitions to contact me?

To my knowledge, there is no trust or will stipulating anything related to this fund. I believe he filled out the fund's basic inheritance form.

I appreciate any help in this matter. Thank you.

Hello,

I broke up with my domestic abuser a while ago. When I went back to get my things, he said he would keep me on his annuity/retirement fund in which I told him to keep his filthy money as I did not want it. He said he wouldn't do it. From what he told me a long time ago, his son would receive 75% of the funds, while I would recieve 25%, which according to him, was enough for a down payment of a house.

Now, my life, that he has threaten to harm on one-too-many occasions, is not worth $20-30,000. I am more interested in cutting off all ties and investing in my happiness. Also, his son is a drug addict/dealer and a very manipulative person. I want no future contact with my ex or his son. Since my abuser is also an alcoholic and a gambler, I am hoping he spends all the money before he dies, but in the off-chance he doesn't, what are my legal options? Can I force my abuser to take my name off his fund?

Or, if I cannot do that,

Can I avoid going to court with his son over my portion of the money by saying I don't want it? Would I be responsible for any legal/court fees if I go this route?

Or, can I simply ignore the fund/his lawyer's petitions to contact me?

To my knowledge, there is no trust or will stipulating anything related to this fund. I believe he filled out the fund's basic inheritance form.

I appreciate any help in this matter. Thank you.

Good for you getting away from the abuser.

I'm sure he or she has rarely told you the truth.

Therefore, don't worry about anything he or she ever told you.

It's more than likely a lie.

If anyone ever contacts you offering you any money, you can say, "No thanks, I don't want anything from the person who tried to kill me, and maimed me many times."

Back