Annuity and CDs after death

Bc12pount

My grandmother openly told my mother (and many others) that her and her two brothers were on CDs and an annuity that she had. When she became ill my mothers brother was granted power of attorney. After she passed, it was found out that he cashed in everything that she owned and now will not let my mother know anything. It seems as if he is trying to basically take everything and run.
Can he do this?
What can be done?

It's possible she may have to get a lawyer involved here to help her get any assets she is entitled to.

Thanks for the reply. She is unfortunately realizing that fact. Just sad that the death of an amazing woman can cause her own child to steal what she worked so hard for. The fear now is how much he will spend or hide until he is stopped.

But if he cashed out CDs and places the money in his name, can that be recovered or claimed. I guess the question is the fact that it's all in his name now and can anything be done??

I would have her talk to a lawyer. If he took what wasn't his, there might be recourse she can take against him to get anything that she is entitled to.

Back