Annoying Email from customer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jweeks

I have a small company that offers a software program available for download over the internet. The program is shareware, offering users a 60-day evaluation period prior to purchase so they have ample time to check out the program prior to registration. A customer purchased the software thru PayPal, and after more than 30 days requested a refund. I explained to the customer it was impossible to take back a registration key once it has been emailed and that with a 60-day evaluation period prior to purchase, there was a no refund policy. At first, the customer was fine with that.

A day or so later, said customer sent an email claiming the program wouldn't work and demanded a refund. Attempts to provide tech support were made but she refused to respond to our inquiries. Instead, she sent emails threatening to report us to PayPal and get her refund through them (Her subject line was "What part of I want a refund to you not understand). Paypal denied her request, which prompted her to send me an email threatening to report me to the Better Business Bureau if she did not get her refund in 5 days. I again emailed her explaining our refund policy and the reasons why a refund was not in order.

Today, I received one email telling me she has reported me as promised and almost a dozen others threatening to email me everyday until she gets her refund.

Does this qualify as email harrassment, or at what point will it? While our small piece of software is not on the level of companies like Microsoft, I can't imagine that after you have purchased their product and received your activation code one could simply email them and say "Oops, I don't like this so send my money back". Am I wrong to not provide a refund?

Under contract principles, you are in the right here. The fact that the customer willingly paid for the license key WITHIN the 60-day evaluation period is a key factor, as is the fact that it is standard industry practice to NEVER offer a refund on software. I have NEVER seen an instance of the purchase price of software being refunded or being offered to be refunded.

As to harassment, these constant emails would constitute harassment. You should probably provide her notice, in the form of an email or letter, that she should cease and decist her emails or you will pursue harassment charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back