An item that I loaned to a person (now deceased) hasn't been returned to me

Tef Stephens

Jurisdiction
Nebraska
Greetings. A year ago, I had lent my mother an antique vase, worth approx. $1,000. Again, I "lent" this vase, not give it to my mother. She wanted it for a display in her card shop and I was going to get it back when she decided to re decorate the place.

All of this was verbal.

Unfortunately, my mother passed away last summer, leaving my eldest brother as estate administrator.

Even though he is aware that the vase was temporarily loaned out to my mother, he refuses to give it back to me. He as included it as an asset in the estate.

I have no money for an attorney, things have been tough. What recourse do I have to get this vase back. File it with the local police as a stolen item? I'm at a loss

Last edited:
This is a civil, not criminal, issue.

You can file a claim with the probate court just like any other debtor. You likely won't need a lawyer.

What recourse do I have to get this vase back. File it with the local police as a stolen item?

You can report it to the police, but we can only speculate what they might do in response. It's possible that they'll tell you it's a civil matter.

Beyond that, your recourse will be to sue your brother to obtain possession.

Back