1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

Ambulance/Hospital Costs - Not Authorized

Discussion in 'Medical Bills, Debt' started by Derek R., Feb 13, 2019.

  1. Derek R.

    Derek R. Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    I'm curious about how this works with law and emergency services. Last year, my under-age son was caught drinking at a party under age. Since he was intoxicated, the Sheriff had him transported to a local hospital via ambulance where he received minimal medical services. Now please know that I am certainly grateful that we have laws and medical services to provide medical care to accordingly. It could've been worse and I am lucky it was not. However, I've also paid health insurance my entire life but when I got a bill for over $7,000, I was beyond myself. So my question is, what rights do we have about paying for these types of services when the ambulance transportation and treatment at the hospital was not authorized? Thanks for your help and feedback.
  2. army judge

    army judge Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    If the patient was treated as an emergency admission/consult, it was authorized.

    If you have a beef about the costs, take that up with the arresting agency's Chief or Sheriff.

    You can also consult your insurance carrier.

    If it had been my son, I'd have had a conversation with the lad.

    That said, our children knew that to engage in anything my wife or I didn't authorize would lead them into far worse territory than being arrested by the police.
    Derek R. likes this.
  3. adjusterjack

    adjusterjack Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    It WAS authorized. Your son authorized it when he got himself illegally drunk and needed medical attention.

    Have your medical insurance pay its share, you pay the rest, then you take it out of your son's hide.
    hrforme and Derek R. like this.
  4. Tax Counsel

    Tax Counsel Active Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    When it comes to drinking laws, "under age" means under age 21. So exactly how old was your son when this happened?
  5. mightymoose

    mightymoose Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    You might do some research into the medical record to see if you can determine the reasonableness is the trip to the ER. Is there a police report that explains the justification?
    Also find out what the sheriff department policy is, if there is one, regarding intoxicated minors. Was it followed?
    As a deputy, I would suggest a trip to the hospital only under circumstances in which he was unable to walk or otherwise unresponsive or unconscious. Otherwise a call home would suffice.
    However... If he was charged with an offense and was booked into custody then the medical clearance was likely a requirement of the juvenile facility. You will have to check into your local laws to find out whether that goes on the taxpayer dime or is billable to you.

Share This Page