Amazon FBA reseller/business licenses in NY

H. Boggles

Jurisdiction
New York
Hi everyone. I'm trying to start out doing Amazon FBA selling in New York State and i'm stuck on one part of it for now.

I want to apply to wholesellers/distributors so that I can order products and get ungated in different categories and brands. However, i've heard that you need to have a Resale Certificate and a Business Certificate, specific to being a retailer/reseller, in order for these businesses to do business with you.

I've also applied for a license and created a separate service-based business that I never followed up on, but received a Certificate of Authority to collect Sales Tax on.

Do i need to apply for another business license specific for being a retailer/reseller AND a Resale Certificate? Or can I use what I already have (from my other business license and COA) to try to apply to wholesellers/distributors?

Do i need to apply for another business license specific for being a retailer/reseller AND a Resale Certificate? Or can I use what I already have (from my other business license and COA) to try to apply to wholesellers/distributors?

Do you REALLY want to trust anonymous internet entities relative to tax advice?

You might want to consult a CPA and/or tax attorney before you proceed.

Sure, it'll cost you money, but its likely to keep you out of prison or from a battle with taxing authorities.

Back