Am I still liable for a restaurant that was sold 2 yrs. ago?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LauraMillican

Long story short.

My family owned a restaurant (cafe/catering co.) and sold it approx. 2 years ago. This cafe was located in the first floor of an office building in Mercer Island, WA. The building approved the couple who wanted to purchase the restaurant, and the sale continued without incident. I recieved papers approx. a month ago stating that the purchasers had defaulted on the lease with the building and had closed down. The building is now coming after me for the approx. $18,000 that is owed for rent. They had sherrif's and an attorney show up at my home demanding my car or my home, and said I had 10 days to come up with the money or they would be back for my property and possesions. Is this legal?! I sold the business. Why am I being held responsible for the actions of the purchasers? Please help, what can I do?

And I bet you did not have an attorney involved in the sale. Unless you were properly released from the lease, you are still responsible. However you would have some defenses such as notice and the landlord would have to try and mitigate damages.

Sounds like you received a summons and failed to reply. They got a default judgment and now they can come after your property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back