Am I responsible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phenchurch

I rent the first floor of a two-family house with one roommate. Three tennants live in the upstairs apartment. This past Halloween, we threw two seperate parties in the house. My party was tame with a few close friends and family, and everyone was gone and I was in bed by 1am. The upstairs party was much larger and rowdier and went on way past my bed time.

The morning after the party, our immediate neighbor apoke to the upstairs tennants and told them that someone from the party had thrown a beer bottle at his truck (our yard is adjacent to the parking area behind his house) and dented the hood. He called the police. An officer came to his house, checked it out, and told the upstairs tenants that he wasn't going to take any action, as the damage was very small.

Now, four months later, the neighbor has again contacted the upstairs tennants. He claims to have repair estimates (I don't think anyone's seen them yet) and that if he doesn't get $500 for repairs in a week, he's going to sue our landlord.

We don't even know who dented the guy's car. There were a few other parties on the street that night, and there is a big, empty school parking lot behind our two houses that is also adjacent to this man's driveway/parking area. Should the upstairs tennants just give him the money? Does he have a case? What about his insurance? Shouldn't we only have to pay the deductible on his insurance? Should my landlord's homeowner's insurance cover something like this?

Responsible

Unless the plaintive can prove beyond resonable doubt that someone from your upstairs tenant's party dented the hood, I wouldn't worry about it, he probably has no case. But it wouldn't hurt to get professional legal advice on the matter.

Donald

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back