Am I Responsible For This Debt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathleeng

My parents added me as an authorized user to their credit card to shop for them because medical conditions made it hard for them to get around. My father passed away and this continued up until a few months ago. My mother is now in a nursing home and all of her Social Security and pension income is used to pay for the home. Am I responsible to pay her credit card debt? I just found out my brother used his Power of Attroney and had added himself to the same account several years ago. If I am responsible, isn't he equally responsible because he added himself to the account as an authorized user? I don't think I should have to pay her debts, but I don't know the law in this situation. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Just because you are authorized to USE the card doesn't mean you've signed on to agree to accept the debts. You need to look at the agreement you signed to see if you are merely an authorized user or a joint account holder along with your parents.

I never signed anything. I believe that my father just called Discover and added my name and ordered a card for me. After his death, when I began managing my mother's finances, I remember her speaking to someone at Discover to authorize me to make inquiries and payments for her.

So, if my brother added himself as a joint account holder, then he would be responsible for payment?. And if no payments are made, then it would affect his credit?
Just want to get the facts right.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back