Am I liable?

dlm1ok

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
My daughter was getting married, and one at her bridesmaids drop-down the wedding a week before the wedding. She had pre-paid for her gown which came with the contract saying no returns no refunds. Alterations had begun on the dress and the dress shop do you need addressed to me to give to somebody else to try to be the bridesmaid. The person that was going to be the bridesmaid had agreed for me to try to find somebody else to take the dress and see what we could get out Of it. The new Bridesmaid paid the alteration fees that the prior bridesmaid had agreed to. Who is liable for the dress if anyone?

The first bridesmaid dropped out after paying for the gown and signing the contract for no refunds. She called the dress shop after ordering alterations and they had begun, and said she did not want to dress and wanted her money back.They refused. The dress shop gave address to somebody else to be the bridesmaid. The new bridesmaid paid for the alterations so who is liable to the first bridesmaid for the dress?

did the bride or anyone else sign the contract or just the 1st dropout bridesmaid? I don't see any recourse if only the 1st dropout bridesmaid signed it. She was 100% liable for the costs. What did she think would happen if you didn't find a replacement person? Was she just going to leave the dress at the shop?

Was the agreement between you and her in writing ("see what we could get out of it") as to what you could sell the dress for after she dropped out? You really shouldn't have gotten in the middle of the dress shop and this girl and agreed to anything at all with her. You should have let them keep the dress and not alter it for someone else without following their policies. That's the only liability I see that you have since all but the alterations were paid for. Was the 1st dropout bridesmaid expecting a new bridesmaid to reimburse her for some or all of the dress? If anything I could see where you made yourself partially liable in agreeing to try to find a new wearer/owner.

I once refused to pay for the remainder of a bridesmaid's dress because the groom cancelled the wedding....in the end the bride's mom picked up the difference. But I never signed a contract but did put 50% down as a deposit.

Personal opinion here- depends on why the girl dropped out but I (mom or bride) would probably try to reimburse her something since someone else did end up wearing the dress and you all avoided having one less groomsman/bridesmaid.

All the bridesmaids hind the same contract. The bridesmaid that dropped out initially started all the alterations and then the new bridesmaid had additional alterations to cover what was already done. And that old bridesmaid had asked see if we can get something out of it but we were not able to get the money out of it because she had to pay $100 just for the alterations. But the shop called the bride and told her the old bridesmaid dropped out after alterations were started. The shop gave the gown to the bride. The contract is in writing. The bride said she was going to a psychiatric hospital that she never went to. She was even texting the bride on the wedding day.

did the bride or anyone else sign the contract or just the 1st dropout bridesmaid? I don't see any recourse if only the 1st dropout bridesmaid signed it. She was 100% liable for the costs. What did she think would happen if you didn't find a replacement person? Was she just going to leave the dress at the shop?

Was the agreement between you and her in writing ("see what we could get out of it") as to what you could sell the dress for after she dropped out? You really shouldn't have gotten in the middle of the dress shop and this girl and agreed to anything at all with her. You should have let them keep the dress and not alter it for someone else without following their policies. That's the only liability I see that you have since all but the alterations were paid for. Was the 1st dropout bridesmaid expecting a new bridesmaid to reimburse her for some or all of the dress? If anything I could see where you made yourself partially liable in agreeing to try to find a new wearer/owner.

I once refused to pay for the remainder of a bridesmaid's dress because the groom cancelled the wedding....in the end the bride's mom picked up the difference. But I never signed a contract but did put 50% down as a deposit.

Personal opinion here- depends on why the girl dropped out but I (mom or bride) would probably try to reimburse her something since someone else did end up wearing the dress and you all avoided having one less groomsman/bridesmaid.

one at her bridesmaids drop-down the wedding

Huh?

the dress shop do you need addressed to me to give to somebody else to try to be the bridesmaid.

Again, huh?

I think what you're saying is that, after agreeing buying and paying for her dress, one of your daughter's bridesmaids dropped out and was replaced by someone else and that the replacement paid for alterations. It's not clear if the wedding has already occurred or not.

Who is liable for the dress if anyone?

Given your statements that "[t]he first bridesmaid . . . [paid] for the gown" and that the replacement bridesmaid "paid the alteration fees," I have no idea what this question might mean.

who is liable to the first bridesmaid for the dress?

The dress store should not give (or have given) the dress to anyone other than the person who bought it and may end up being liable to the original bridesmaid for having done so.

Huh?

Again, huh?

I think what you're saying is that, after agreeing buying and paying for her dress, one of your daughter's bridesmaids dropped out and was replaced by someone else and that the replacement paid for alterations. It's not clear if the wedding has already occurred or not.

Given your statements that "[t]he first bridesmaid . . . [paid] for the gown" and that the replacement bridesmaid "paid the alteration fees," I have no idea what this question might mean.

The dress store should not give (or have given) the dress to anyone other than the person who bought it and may end up being liable to the original bridesmaid for having done so.

The original bridesmaid ordered, paid for dress, ordered alterations which included the dress being cut. The alterations she did not payfor. The contract with the dress place said "No refunds". The dress place gave the replacement bridesmaid the dress and she paid $100 for the alterations the first bridesmaid ordered.

The wedding was held using the replacement bridesmaid. Now the original bridesmaid is suing for $200 but the alterations of $100 she ordered were paid and the bride ordered over $200 worth of bridesmaid gifts that could not be returned.

Who owes money to whom? The original bridesmaid requested to find someone to replace her but all the replacement bridesmaid could pay at the last minute was the costs of alterations.

We don't want to go for breach of contract for cancelling 9 days before the wedding. Who owes money to the original bridesmaid, the bride? The dress shop said the dress was ordered for the wedding and that is why the gown was turned over to the new bridesmaid.

Having found a replacement, I would argue that the person who has actually received the dress has taken responsibility for its cost and alterations. The original bridesmaid may be off the hook.

Having found a replacement, I would argue that the person who has actually received the dress has taken responsibility for its cost and alterations. The original bridesmaid may be off the hook.
Off the hook for what? She paid for the dress knowing she wouldn't get her money back. Ordered alterations that she didn't pay for, so shouldn't the cost of the gown be reduced by the $100 for the alterations the second bridesmaid paid for. Remember, she refused the gown when she cancelled her role in the wedding.

Ooooohhhh... I misunderstood. I thought she had not paid at all yet.

Still, if anyone owes anyone anything it would most reasonably be the person who received the dress. Whether anything is owed at all is debatable. If the parties can't resolve it then they may seek a resolution in court. That's what it is there for.

I'm somewhat surprised the store gave the dress to someone who did not pay for it.

Ooooohhhh... I misunderstood. I thought she had not paid at all yet.

Still, if anyone owes anyone anything it would most reasonably be the person who received the dress. Whether anything is owed at all is debatable. If the parties can't resolve it then they may seek a resolution in court. That's what it is there for.

I'm somewhat surprised the store gave the dress to someone who did not pay for it.

I questioned that but trying to figure out what to offer the original bride being when she withdrew her money was no refundable and the dress shop had already started cutting the dress for alterations she ordered. I felt offering the $193 minus alterations was fair considering she wasn't getting anything from the shop.

I questioned that but trying to figure out what to offer the original bride being when she withdrew her money was no refundable and the dress shop had already started cutting the dress for alterations she ordered. I felt offering the $193 minus alterations was fair considering she wasn't getting anything from the shop.

This is easy, ask her what she thinks is fair.

Once you know what she wants, you'll know what to do next.

Never start by throwing a number out there, ask the other person what would make them happy.

This is easy, ask her what she thinks is fair.

Once you know what she wants, you'll know what to do next.

Never start by throwing a number out there, ask the other person what would make them happy.
Believe it or not this adult has said nothing. Her mother is the one griping.

Who owes money to whom? The original bridesmaid requested to find someone to replace her but all the replacement bridesmaid could pay at the last minute was the costs of alterations.

We don't want to go for breach of contract for cancelling 9 days before the wedding. Who owes money to the original bridesmaid, the bride?

Let's just short circuit this: Nothing you have posted suggests that you or your daughter has any liability to anyone. You told us that "the original bridesmaid is suing," but you didn't say whom she is suing. Unless she's suing you, then you have nothing to worry about. As between the original and replacement bridesmaids and the dress store, it's nothing you need to be concerned about.

trying to figure out what to offer the original bride being when she withdrew her money was no refundable and the dress shop had already started cutting the dress for alterations she ordered. I felt offering the $193 minus alterations was fair

Why would you offer anything to anyone?

Let's just short circuit this: Nothing you have posted suggests that you or your daughter has any liability to anyone. You told us that "the original bridesmaid is suing," but you didn't say whom she is suing. Unless she's suing you, then you have nothing to worry about. As between the original and replacement bridesmaids and the dress store, it's nothing you need to be concerned about.

Why would you offer anything to anyone?
The original bridesmaid is 23 and it's her mother making threats. Her mother was not present during any of the transactions. She is sending threats to the dressshop saying she is suing everyone. But once she ordered alterations, it devalued the dress.

The original bridesmaid is 23 and it's her mother making threats. Her mother was not present during any of the transactions. She is sending threats to the dressshop saying she is suing everyone. But once she ordered alterations, it devalued the dress.

Ok. Doesn't change anything I've said previously.

Believe it or not this adult has said nothing. Her mother is the one griping.

My mother told me as a very young boy, "Don't listen if you don't want to hear."

Stop communicating with people who annoy you.

If she files a lawsuit, she files a lawsuit.

If she sues you, your defense is easy, she's suing the wrong person.

Just block her, stop communicating with her, live your life.

Threats like this are easily ignored. This person has no say in the matter. If a friendship is on the line then the bride and the two bridesmaids can sort things out so everyone is happy.
The original bridesmaid, if she chooses to sue anyone, would only have a reasonable argument against the store for giving the dress she paid for to someone else.
This seems to be over a fairly petty amount. I'm sure it can be resolved easily rather than arguing and losing friends.

Mother can't sue anyone. Unlikely that anyone would even try for $200.00. I usually advise people to just ignore this type of idle threat. The dress shop is the only party that had a contract with anyone.

Back