Am I getting ripped off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldahlone

I own a 2000 Honda Civic. Back on 7/30/08 my air conditioner went out and I had it repaired by a local repair shop. I had to go back about 3 to 4 times for issues I was having with the repair. The first time was for some missing screws that held down a shourd that was under the hood. Then I noticed that the caps on the ac unit were missing. Then the new belts started slipping and making a terrible noise. Anyways to make a long story short the so called rebuilt compressor went out in the beginning of February 2009. I took it back to the shop and they said it was the compressor that it was bad and that it did have a 1 year warranty. This is where it gets interesting. Apparently the compressor company went out of business and that warranty was void. Then, it seems that the bad compressor also damaged a valve and the drier which are both important parts in making the air cold. Well now he wants to change me an additonal $420 to make these repairs in which should have never happend in the fist place. Am I wrong on assuming that I should not have to pay anything or is he safe under the law. What can I do?

I don't know what you mean by "safe under the law". I assume you want him to do the repairs and eat the cost. As I understand it, the repairs are due to the faulty compressor. It sucks that the party responsible for the faulty compressor is now out of business. But how is that the shop's responsibility?

I guess that is what my question is. Since the company that sold him the compressor went out of business is it not his responsiblity to cover that warranty perhaps? And since the compressor went bad and damaged other parts because of the compressor being bad wouldn't that be his responsilibity also? I am just so mad because I will have to pay him another $420 for the repairs when I could have gone somewhere else in the first place and would have saved a boat load of money considering the compressor place where they bought it were still in business. Do I just need to eat this and consider a lesson learned or is there any kind of action I can take? I appreciate your advise.

Why would the shop owner be liable for something he had no control over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back