Am I getting played by my landlord?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronBizz

So, back in January my roommates and I did everything neccesary to rent a home in Rockville, MD. One of the stipulations of the lease was that we couldn't sub-lease. Well, we kinda helped a friend which we got caught doing and the landlord raised our rent from $1,850 to $1,950. Not really a big deal. Well, we now have a friend that needs a place to stay and we offered her a spot at our house, this time going thru all the neccesary loops to make it legal. We contacted the real estate agent so that she could fill out some applications and upon doing so we were told that because of a forth person being added to the house, we now have to pay an additional $450 on top of the $1,950. I have an exsert from the email I got:

"I will reiterate again regarding the total lease amount due per month: your rent (three tenants or less occupancy) is $1950 per month. The additional tenant (four persons occupancy) has now increased the rent for an additional amount of $450. Therefore, your total rent per month for four persons occupancy is $2400 (= base rent $1950 + additional tenant rent $450).

Incidentally, the previous tenants (also four persons occupancy) paid the same rent amount of $2400.
I hope the above breakdown of rent amount rectifies all confusion.

Thank you
."

So, how is it that when we found the place the paper with the housing information said the rent was $1,850; got raised $100 for breach of contract and now the guy thinks he can raise the rent an additional $450 all the while saying that the previous tenants paid the $2,400? I don't think he can do that, can he?

What does your lease say?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back