Breaking a Lease Am I able to break my lease early?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zion0314

I live in Rhode Island and I am trying to figure out if I can legally break my lease. When I first moved into the apartment the landlord had not had it cleaned or exterminated. It took me about two days to clean and almost 2 weeks to have it exterminated. Therefore I could not move in until these problems were fixed (landlord refused to reduced amount of rent for that month even though the apartment was in no condition to move into). I do not have deadbolt locks on my doors, only the locks on the door knobs. I have asked my landlord multiple times to change the thermometer (as it is the old dial thermometer and the cover is missing so mercury is exposed). I have also asked multiple time for months to get covers on my base board heating system as the metal prongs are showing being a safety hazard. There is an issue with the refrigerator that I have asked multiple times to get fixed for months, that has not been taken care of. There was also a shooting across the street from my home, in turn I ask for bars on my windows and the landlord refused because "it would make the house ugly". I do not feel safe in this home. Am I able to break my lease early and receive my security deposit back?

I live in Rhode Island and I am trying to figure out if I can legally break my lease. When I first moved into the apartment the landlord had not had it cleaned or exterminated. It took me about two days to clean and almost 2 weeks to have it exterminated. Therefore I could not move in until these problems were fixed (landlord refused to reduced amount of rent for that month even though the apartment was in no condition to move into). I do not have deadbolt locks on my doors, only the locks on the door knobs. I have asked my landlord multiple times to change the thermometer (as it is the old dial thermometer and the cover is missing so mercury is exposed). I have also asked multiple time for months to get covers on my base board heating system as the metal prongs are showing being a safety hazard. There is an issue with the refrigerator that I have asked multiple times to get fixed for months, that has not been taken care of. There was also a shooting across the street from my home, in turn I ask for bars on my windows and the landlord refused because "it would make the house ugly". I do not feel safe in this home. Am I able to break my lease early and receive my security deposit back?

When you asked these questions of your landlord or landlady, what did he or she say?

Only your landlord or landlady can allow you to break your lease early.

When that does happen, it often costs money, as in one or two, sometimes THREE months rent to have your legal handcuffs removed.

If it is agreed to, get it in writing (and signed by all parties) before forking over the cash.

In the future, don't move into ANY rental unit unless it meets your total satisfaction!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back