Am hoping to get input from NYClex

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevesrm1995

Sir, My question is this, in any case, if the case is still under investigation, is the witness for the prosecution generally supposed to remain silent about specifics of the case, and if so, if the accuser discusses details about the case with virtually anyone who'll listen, does this in any way affect the case?

Have had this reply- from cmlzip-"All parties involved should stay quiet about the case until the case has been ruled over."

So, my reply was this:Ok, since the prosecutions witness hasn't...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does this do to the case??? The prosecutions witness has discussed in great detail and lengths, specifics about the case. What, if any, repurcussions will this bring for this witness and the case?
Sir, any input on what you've seen in the past concerning this issue and any and all possible implications it could pose would be greatly appreciated.
Respectfully,
DS Miller

heya Steve

The general rule is that the defendant is the party who should remain quiet. If anyone on the prosecution side talks as much as you claim, it could only damage their case against you. I'm sure any DA would not want his witnesses tipping his hand to anyone before trial. Let me know what has transpired since your last submission.

stevesrm1995 said:
Sir, My question is this, in any case, if the case is still under investigation, is the witness for the prosecution generally supposed to remain silent about specifics of the case, and if so, if the accuser discusses details about the case with virtually anyone who'll listen, does this in any way affect the case?

Have had this reply- from cmlzip-"All parties involved should stay quiet about the case until the case has been ruled over."

So, my reply was this:Ok, since the prosecutions witness hasn't...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does this do to the case??? The prosecutions witness has discussed in great detail and lengths, specifics about the case. What, if any, repurcussions will this bring for this witness and the case?
Sir, any input on what you've seen in the past concerning this issue and any and all possible implications it could pose would be greatly appreciated.
Respectfully,
DS Miller
There are numerous reasons why it is beneficial for witnesses not to discuss the case elsewhere. In addition to potentially tainting a jury pool, bringing press into the mix which could affect a case if a jury isn't sequestered, discussions that may eventually cloud memory recall, etc. is there a reason to keep telling the story to people that "need" to know? As would make sense, the more talk out of court the more that can appear in court. Any reason you are asking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back