Consumer Fraud Almost served, unless...

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronhawk

Hello, thanks for reading.

Well a few years ago, I was offered an opertunity to help someone and they pay me for it. It was a foreign person saying that if I can cash a check for them and do a few things with the money and I keep the remainder. I thought to myself, as long as the bank approves it, then there's no problem.

Well, the bank accepted the check, but needed to hold it until its cleared. At the time they gave me $1,000. I waited until the check was approved, which it was after 8 or so days. I took out about $700 or so, and started to buy a certain cell phone for the person who gave me the check. I had a hected schedule at that time so I didnt rush to do anything. Maybe a week later, the bank said the check bounced. They also said it was a bad check. And told me I had to pay that money back. I gave them the information of where I was sending the money and phone. The bank said Im responsible for the scam. Now, today, they say I have to pay the whole price unless I want to get served.

Now I dont have that kind of money. I talked the guy into $300 a month, it wasnt hard to do, but theres no other way, I told him. And thats still alot, I have other bills too. I feel I shouldnt have to pay, when it wasnt my fault. What should I do. Please help me. I cant even help my mother out around the house, because shes laid off from work, and now they bring this on me. Can the reduce the payments to $50 a month? Or? Something managable. What should I do?

The original cheque was fraudulent. The money was never yours. You're not at fault, but legally, you are liable to pay the money back.

Whether you can reduce the payments depends on what kind of agreement you can come to with the bank. Why did you agree to $300/month (and why do you say that wasn't hard to do) if you can't manage it?

well the guy told me that i had to pay at least $1,400 of it. I told him I cant do that much right now, so he said $200 this month and then the rest next month. Which is the same thing to me lol.

So he told me, since he's the case manager, that he can do 300 a month if its approved by whomever, I forgot the name. Thats why I said it wasn't had to get it down to 300. But I felt like I was attacked and 300 sounded way better at the time lol. If I have to pay back, thats fine, Im not even sure if I did the right thing. It was so rushed

The bank knows they can't get blood from a stone, but they also probably know your finances better than you do. Come to whatever arrangement you can with them. Good luck.

Sounds like you were part of the very common Nigerian scam.

Happens all the time. People have lost thousands doing this. And, unfortunately, in the eyes of the law, it IS your fault. Part of your choice was to help someone out but frankly, part of it was greed to keep some of this money.

At least this is how it is seen legally when the many, many people who have been taken in by various versions of this scam have complained to law enforcement and the courts.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back