Almost Eighteen in New Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpmore

My friend's son will be 18 years old in several months.

Over the last few months his son has given him and his wife much disrespect, verbal abuse and at times violent tantrums breaking items in the house, if they disagree with actions the son wants to take. The son feels he can come and go as he pleases and not abide by the rules set by his mother and father. They try to reason with him but he refuses to talk at all about the current status of things or improving the situation.

If the situation does not improve, in New Jersey, when the son turns 18 can the parents force him to leave the home? Are they financially or legally responsible for him any longer?

In, I believe, 48 states including NJ, a minor becomes an adult on their 18th birthday, meaning that the parents have no further responsibility to support him and have no further legal responsibility for him. They can, if they wish, pack his things, put them out on the porch for him to retrieve and change the locks.

They should run this by an attorney to confirm that NJ is not one of the very few states with an age of majority that is not 18 since I'm not 100% certain of that. But assuming I am correct, that is where their responsibility ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back