Alimony question--California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindsided

My husband and I have been together for 30 years, married for 23 of those years. Our kids are grown and on their own. I have been a homemaker for the entire marriage. He has decided he wants a divorce, and we both know about community property and splitting the marital assets down the middle, however, I think I am entitled to alimony, which is where the real battle will begin. I'm trying to get a ballpark figure on what I can expect so I know where I will be able to live in the future. We own 2 houses, one is worth about $140K with a $82K balance on the mortgage. The other is worth about $130K with a $115K balance (this is a rental with tenants in place that pay $1350/mo rent). My husband seems to think that he will keep our house and I can just move into the rental and that's an even split. I don't see it that way....what about the difference in equity and value?

Then there's the alimony....he makes approx $90K per year at his job and we have absolutely no debt. No credit cards, no loans, just the two mortgages. Our house is $1,000/mo and the rental is $739/mo. Approximately how much am I entitled to in alimony? If I can figure this out, I can decide whether to move into the rental or continue to rent it out and live somewhere else. He says he has not consulted an attorney yet, but I don't know if I can believe him. I just don't want to be blindsided any more than I already have.

Thanks for any help.

You definitely need to see an attorney. You should be entitled to possibly lifetime alimony based on a 23 yr marriage, or at the minimum, 12-15 years alimony.
is he willing to let you move into the rental and pay the mortgage? I would not accept that because if he defaults on it, it will foreclose and you will lose your house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back