Alimony and contempt of court

Status
Not open for further replies.

kncfes

My husband was previously married for 3 years and lived in Florida. This is where their divorce is filed. They settled out of court due to her pressure and he basically agreed to take responsibility of their entire marital debt plus pay her X amount per month. Don't really know how long he was to pay her for, but he paid her 1500/month for over 3 years. They had no children, thank goodness. He also transferred credit card balances to his own accounts. She started calling and demanding that he pay her more money, which he did not do, nor was he able to do. He stopped paying her all together. She has now reopened the case and is charging him with contempt of court for not paying her. What options do we have? Now that the case has been reopened, can we counter with trying to have the agreement modified? She has a PhD in psychology and makes way more money than my husband. Not to mention that she has already gotten well over 54,000. Please help...

He needs to see an attorney. Seems like he agreed to pay her alimony for an undisclosed amount of time. Big mistake. If they were only married 3 years and she has a Phd, he should not have been paying any alimony at all. He needs to take his decree to an attorney to review.

She was in school nearly the entire time they were married, so she did not have a PhD until last year, I think. Is there any way that he can have it modified?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back