Domestic Violence & Civil Orders Alcohol disease and PC 273.5 (A)

Chole D C

Jurisdiction
California
I pressed charges under Extreme stress especially emotional after an evening with physical and emotional abuse due to my boyfriends alcohol abuse . He is not an abusive man but his disease most recently has changed I was brain works memory and he's just different in there something wrong . He's not this kind of person and I desperately try to get him to help himself and he's even tried in the past and it hasn't worked. Under this emotional distress I was after the physical Buse which was not my intent to really press charges he now has charges against him that will result in something that would be hard and not really help the medical need to he means I don't know what to do but I know he finally is seeking help and I don't want him to lose that option by having to go to jail based on the Penal Code. We no longer live together he doesn't know where I live and I even tried dropping the charges. At the time of attempting to drop the charges the DA didn't have any of the information , I have no information about it other than what's on the court website as of 2 1/2 weeks after the incident . I'm curious what my options are what his options are everything I've googled show 2 to 4 years and a fine or I should say and or a fine any information would be helpful

Many abused women try to have the charges against their abusers dropped, so it's not surprise that the DA shut that down. His options are to hire an attorney, your options are to stay away from your abuser and cooperate with the DA.

I pressed charges under Extreme stress especially emotional after an evening with physical and emotional abuse due to my boyfriends alcohol abuse . He is not an abusive man but his disease most recently has changed I was brain works memory and he's just different in there something wrong . He's not this kind of person and I desperately try to get him to help himself and he's even tried in the past and it hasn't worked. Under this emotional distress I was after the physical Buse which was not my intent to really press charges he now has charges against him that will result in something that would be hard and not really help the medical need to he means I don't know what to do but I know he finally is seeking help and I don't want him to lose that option by having to go to jail based on the Penal Code. We no longer live together he doesn't know where I live and I even tried dropping the charges. At the time of attempting to drop the charges the DA didn't have any of the information , I have no information about it other than what's on the court website as of 2 1/2 weeks after the incident . I'm curious what my options are what his options are everything I've googled show 2 to 4 years and a fine or I should say and or a fine any information would be helpful

My guess would be as good as yours.
In many of these cases, the abuser gets one, sometimes two bites at the apple before he or she ends up doing prison times.
In most cases, the abuser gets probation and counseling.
The person has to pay fines, fees, and other penalties.
They will forever wear some kind of domestic violence conviction.
Even a misdemeanor DV conviction harms the abuser for life.
I suggest you take solace, ma'am, in knowing your weren't the first to feel his violent attacks.
You won't likely be the last.

If you feel compelled to help him, reach out to his defense attorney and offer to testify as to what a great guy he is (was) when he isn't abusing alcohol and pounding on weaker human beings.

Good luck to both of you.

He has never abused before anyone especially me. This is a first offense and the injuries very minor, shocking that it happened at all. I'm just awed by the charge being as hard with only a small red mark and a small bruise that constitutes such a a harsh charge and possible penalty of up to 4 years when rapists do t get that. This isn't about recanting if I thought he deserved jail I put his ass there after beating him myself. I know he is ill and this was supposed to be a wake up call to help him but I guess I had no idea the harshness they apply, because the wvil are still walking the streets.
Many abused women try to have the charges against their abusers dropped, so it's not surprise that the DA shut that down. His options are to hire an attorney, your options are to stay away from your abuser and cooperate with the DA.
My guess would be as good as yours.
In many of these cases, the abuser gets one, sometimes two bites at the apple before he or she ends up doing prison times.
In most cases, the abuser gets probation and counseling.
The person has to pay fines, fees, and other penalties.
They will forever wear some kind of domestic violence conviction.
Even a misdemeanor DV conviction harms the abuser for life.
I suggest you take solace, ma'am, in knowing your weren't the first to feel his violent attacks.
You won't likely be the last.

If you feel compelled to help him, reach out to his defense attorney and offer to testify as to what a great guy he is (was) when he isn't abusing alcohol and pounding on weaker human beings.

Good luck to both of you.

Well, the court will decide the "punishment" they believe he deserves.

Please use proper grammar and sentence structure as it is very difficult to understand your posts. What I gather is your boyfriend is an alcoholic who emotionally and physically abused you while drunk. He has been charged with some sort of criminal acts related to this. For reasons unknown, you do not want him to have to answer for these crimes and have attempted to convince the state to drop the charges.

An alcoholic who is abusive is not a good person even if only abusive when drinking, and that since he (apparently) can not control his alcohol use, his abusiveness is not going to just go away. One would hope you would not have hooked up with a dude who treated you like crap when sober as well, though such jerks do exist. It is like the Hulk. Bruce Banner might be a fine guy, but if can't control himself and hurts you when he turns into the Hulk, he does not get a pass for that.

It is the state that charges him with the crime because even if you for whatever reason don't care that he committed a criminal offense, they do. YOU might not be the next victim, and the state has an obligation to protect the general citizenry from those who commit crimes.

If he had been serious about not wanting to commit crimes while drunk, he would have gotten his tush into treatment and abstained from alcohol long before he ever hurt you. Even if you don't care about yourself (though I strongly suggest counseling for you) you should be concerned for the next unfortunate soul who ended up in his wake while drunk.

Back