alcahol intixicated neglegance

A

Aaaahhhhh

Jurisdiction
United Kingdom
Hi All

Just looking for your opinion on the below situation I'm in and whether I have a case against the person in question.

I rent a house with two others (non-related).

Last Sat night the house was burned down (not criminal) and in some respect we all lost our positions.

One house mate was in a different city, as was I. The other house mate remained in the house.

The fire began in his room and he states it was a technical failure in the room. We however believe this to be a case of alcohol intoxicated negligence.

We are not covered under the landlord's house insurance and we don't have renters insurance (lesson learned).

Do we have a case against the "Fire-starter" in the case where either it was an electrical failure or where (more than likely) it was negligence due to alcohol intoxicated negligence?

Hi All

Just looking for your opinion on the below situation I'm in and whether I have a case against the person in question.

I rent a house with two others (non-related).

Last Sat night the house was burned down (not criminal) and in some respect we all lost our positions.

One house mate was in a different city, as was I. The other house mate remained in the house.

The fire began in his room and he states it was a technical failure in the room. We however believe this to be a case of alcohol intoxicated negligence.

We are not covered under the landlord's house insurance and we don't have renters insurance (lesson learned).

Do we have a case against the "Fire-starter" in the case where either it was an electrical failure or where (more than likely) it was negligence due to alcohol intoxicated negligence?

Let's say that what you believe is true.
The guy rents a house with two other people.
You sue the dummy.
Heck, you win a £300,000 judgment against him, or even a £3,000 judgment.
Where do you think a person sharing a rental home with two other people is going to obtain the assets to pay the judgment?

I suggest you and your mate purchase renters insurance to protect you from life's little mishaps, mischief, and mayhem.

Even in the UK if an electrical fire was the cause and not due to the roommates negligence, there would be no case.

If you could PROVE (not just SAY), with EVIDENCE, that the fire was due to his alcohol intoxicated negligence then, yes, you would very likely win a judgment against him which would be uncollectible for the reasons postulated by Army Judge.

Back