Personal Bankruptcy Airline Employee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berl_Sechrest

I am a 53 year old white male with a family of 6. I have worked for an airline for 34 years. We are owned and operated by another air carrier. They will be filing for Chapter 11 sometime this year and my airline will be no more. Health benefits are not an issue since I am covered on my wife's. However can you advise me about what rights I have concerning my accrued sick leave and vacation time? The amounts are fairly substantial. Will I lose them in the bankruptcy? Should I convert either one? Withdraw now? Should retirement before they file be considered? I appreciate your feedback.

I am not aware of any state that requires the unconditional payout of sick time. What rights you have to it will be determined by company policy and/or any contract you may be operating under. Keep in mind that unlike vacation time, sick time is there for one purpose and one purpose only; keeping you whole if you are unable to work due to illness. It is not an entitlement.

Whether or not you are guaranteed your vacation time depends on what state you are in. If you can supply your state, I can supply additional information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back