Agreed to divorce, but now have been served with annulment papers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsSkirt

My husband is in the Army and is stationed in Italy. We were married in February but never lived together as we were trying to get the command sponsorship worked out. Anyhow, eventually we decided it would be best for us to divorce, but now I have been served with papers saying he wants the marriage annulled on the grounds that I "obtained his consent by means of fraud." I'm not sure what to do with this paper. I have committed no fraud, and it sounds like he is trying to get me to admit to some kind of crime? He spent a considerable amount of money flying me back and forth to Italy for visits. If I agree to this annulment, will it be possible for him to sue me for the money he has spent on me since the marriage will have never of happened? The summons states that there will be no equitable distribution since we have already divided our properties amongst ourselves (he's supposed to be sending me back my things from there, and when I receive them I will send back the things of his I have here), but states that he wants me to stop using his last name upon the annulment and to receive "any other reward the court see's fit." It does not specify what reward that might be, or if he's looking for any other, nor does it even specify what the fraud I'm supposed to have committed was. It does state that I waive my right to receive any of the paperwork that will follow the summons, save the final decree. What does an annulment due to fraud mean for me, and are there any possible ramifications awaiting me if I agree to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back