Age of Majority Extension due to mental illness

Status
Not open for further replies.

illmakeulaff

My oldest son just turned 18 and due to graduate HS next month. He has BiPolar Disorder and is well managed with medication. I need to have his Age of Majority extended until he can become self sufficient. As with any mental illness we take things one season at a time and though he appears well - emotionally he is behind his peer group and he can not tolerate high amounts of stress. Presently my other three children are living with my ex. I know that my ex is waiting with baited breath to get more CS out of me as soon as my oldest graduates from HS next month.

I am sure that he can be marketable and be self sufficient but he needs extra guidance and help. I know my ex will not pay a cent toward his college education and right now I don't have the energy to fight for that. I just want my son to become a successful, contributing member of society.

Any insight would be appreciated.

M

What does the original judgment say about the support of a mentally incompetent child?

Has the child been declared incompetent by a court of law?

My son was diagnosed with BiPolar disorder three years after the divorce decree was written. We have never had him declared incompetent since he was a minor.

Then, I suspect, that at the time he becomes an adult, you won't be getting child support.

However, if you want to hire a lawyer and try to modify the original judgment in the lawsuit, you could try that.

I am not trying to get CS because since my ex has my other three kids I am paying CS. What I am hoping is to be able to pay for my son to go to college and be self sufficient. I won't be able to do that if my ex drags me into court the day after our oldest graduates from HS to increase my CS payments.

I am not asking for CS. I am paying CS because my ex has my other three kids. What I want is to pay for my son's college education so he can learn to be self sufficient and I will not be able to do that if my ex drags me to court the day after our oldest graduates from HS to increase my CS payment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back