Afraid for our safety

TMKP

Jurisdiction
Georgia
Living nextdoor to my sister inlaw and her son. The son pulled a gun out on the whole family saying he was going to kill us all. Eventually the police came and ended up having to shoot him in the arm. He has never been in trouble and now faces 4 counts of aggravated assault with no bond. Will he be allowed to come back to his home when he gets bond? I am scared he will try to hurt us. He has that kind of personality.

Living nextdoor to my sister inlaw and her son. The son pulled a gun out on the whole family saying he was going to kill us all. Eventually the police came and ended up having to shoot him in the arm. He has never been in trouble and now faces 4 counts of aggravated assault with no bond. Will he be allowed to come back to his home when he gets bond? I am scared he will try to hurt us. He has that kind of personality.
Do you have a Protective Order? If so...What does it state regarding the distance of the restrained party? ...ie...How far away he must stay from you and your family?

I imagine the court will eventually address this, but in the meantime you can seek a restraining order that prevents him from lawfully returning to the property. Other than that your option is to relocate and put some distance between you and him.

Do you have a Protective Order? If so...What does it state regarding the distance of the restrained party? ...ie...How far away he must stay from you and your family?
No protective order. He actually pointed the gun at my husband,father inlaw,his mother and the police, but I watch from our backdoor. He needs mental and emotional help not just to get bonded out of jail and everybody pretend like it didn't happen and that's kind of what I'm thinking the family wants to do but that's not in the best interest of everybody I just don't know which way I need to go about protecting myself and I don't think it's right that I should have to leave my home because of this.

Don't expect a piece of paper to stop a psycho or mentally deranged person from harming you.

If a person is mentally incompetent he or she has no regard for laws, the rule of law, or human decency.

Only you can protect yourself, how you do that is entirely up to you.

Protecting yourself has always been within the realm of each and every human being, do whatever you must to not assume room temperature.

He he . . . now faces 4 counts of aggravated assault with no bond. Will he be allowed to come back to his home when he gets bond?

If he's "fac[ing] 4 counts . . . with no bond," what makes you think the court will allow bail or that anyone will post a bond on his behalf?

In any event, if the court orders bail and someone posts a bond, we have no conceivable way of knowing what conditions the court might attach.

If he's "fac[ing] 4 counts . . . with no bond," what makes you think the court will allow bail or that anyone will post a bond on his behalf?

In any event, if the court orders bail and someone posts a bond, we have no conceivable way of knowing what conditions the court might attach.

I could imagine the guy's mother or grandfather posting bail, if given a chance.

However, since he threatened the police as well, perhaps they won't get that opportunity.

I could imagine the guy's mother or grandfather posting bail, if given a chance.

I can imagine lots of things too, but I was actually interested in the OP's explanation about why the court might allow bail or why anyone might post a bond on his behalf, not the random speculation of someone unconnected to the situation at hand. Or are you personally familiar with the OP and the situation under discussion.

I can imagine lots of things too, but I was actually interested in the OP's explanation about why the court might allow bail or why anyone might post a bond on his behalf, not the random speculation of someone unconnected to the situation at hand. Or are you personally familiar with the OP and the situation under discussion.

Well, I read post #6.

The guy's own family, the people he threatened at gunpoint, don't consider him to be a threat.

You questioned why anyone would post a bond for him, if by some long shot a court allowed him bail. Blood: thicker than water. And denial. Post #6.

Thankfully (in a way) he threatened police with a gun. The police are less forgiving.

Back