advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

needhelpnow

I am disabled, 62 yo., married 3 1/2 yrs separated 1 from disabled navy vet with very good income. He was abusive and threatened to hurt me if I did not leave. I got some money and furniture but he won't pay alimony and there are no formal separation papers filed. I moved a state away. I am afraid of him and was treated for PTSD from the marriage. I want to stand up for my rights, I need some financial help...he makes 5k a month clear with only a small mortgage. I have a moderate disability check. Should I get a lawyer here, or move back to the same state and pay a high price for a reputable lawyer to handle the case. Do you think I will get some alimony. I want to buy a very small home, should I wait until this is settled, I'm living with my adult kids now.
Thank you in advance.

He doesnt have to pay you anything absent a court order. You had a very short marriage so your chances of alimony are slim but you might get temporary alimony. You cannot expect him to support you for the rest of your life after only being married 3 years.

You are going to have to wait until you have reached the jurisdiction requirements to file in your state, which is either 6 months or 1 year.

Start calling around to attorneys but after that short marriage, I would not expect much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back