Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication Advice Please. 19 Years Old MIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

cl0aked

Hi everyone,

I am currently 19 years old and I was recently arrested for having alcohol in the car. Here is my story:

Two of my friends and I were heading towards a friends house about 30 minutes away (I will name them X and Y). X was the one driving and everything was fine. We had 2 cases of beer and a handle of Jack Daniels in the car, but we had not been drinking (NOTE: The alcohol did not belong to me. Y purchased all the alcohol). While on the toll road, we get pulled over. X was driving 70 on a 65. However, the officer was going to give us a warning. When he came back, the officer realized that X had a warrant out for his arrest for a POM that happened 4 months ago. X was ordered out and arrested.

Next, the officer took us out of the car, separated and questioned us. He asked if there was alcohol or drugs in the car. X had already admitted there was alcohol in the car (I overheard this even though we were separated). The officer then asked me who it belonged to and I didn't want to rat out my other friend, so I claimed it belonged to me. He moved on to Y and asked who the alcohol belonged to. Y said it belonged to himself, not wanting to rat us out. So the officer arrested both Y and me. While in the car, Y tried explaining that the alcohol belonged to himself only, but the officer said he doesn't know who to believe. All three of was spent the night in jail.

Now Y and I are charged with MIP, both our first offense. What should I do in this case? Y wants to claim all the alcohol as his as to not have me take the fall for the alcohol too. Should I plead not guilty in front of the judge? This is my first offense. If both my friends come to court and claim that the alcohol did not belong to me, will the charge be dropped?

Thank you.

Always plead not guilty.
Stop talking to the police.
Lawyer up, if you're smart.

you should not have claimed the alcohol was yours. Had you and Y denied ownership, the alcohol would have been the responsibility of X since he was the driver.

You will get a chance to speak with a public defender when you go to court. You will find out then how to best handle the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back