Advice on how to reopen a judgment and dismiss wage garnishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

anudrm

I am writing today because I am seeking advice. I am a college student in Tampa, Florida with a slight problem, may be bigger problem.

In August 2007, I was summoned to court in regards to a lawsuit filed against me by CACH, LLC represented by Jorge L. Palma. This collection agency had bought a debt of mine from Chase Manhattan that had been charged of as of October 2005. I presented myself in court, acknowledged the debt but disputed the specific amount. The judge at that time ordered the case to mediation.

I was notified in November 2007 of the date to attend mediation. Once again I attended mediation and again disputed the specific amount. At that time the representative was advised to furnish proof of the amount in question. At that time my understanding was that there would be another court date.

February 2008, I moved from that address to another residence. Went about the proper way to change my address, also had to renew my license because of a suspension and changed my address on my vehicle registration also as of March 2008. When reviewing my credit report in September of 2008, I noticed that there was a judgment entered against me for the amount of the original lawsuit, the amount that I was disputing. Since, I have been seeking help as to exactly what to do, quite clueless.

Now August 2009, my wages have began to be garnished. I don't know what to do, I can not afford to have my wages garnished. I read about an exemption but yet I do not qualify for that considering that I have no dependents therefore I am not head of household. All I can do is furnish proof of my expenses. What can I do?

Why didn't you try appealing the judgment when you found out about it a year ago? You are quite possibly too late now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back