Advice needed regarding my termination

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrtn2050

First of all, thank you for taking time to read this and any advice you may have!

I live and work in AL. I have worked in retail sales (grocery) approximately ten years and was employed at my last job around 5 years and had been assistant manager approximately 3. A few weeks ago my empoyer fired me saying that I had stolen money from one of the registers. On video, it looks like I probably took it bc after performing the transaction, I went to my purse and put money in it and when questioned, I couldn't remember what I was doing so I couldn't explain any of my actions. I was in complete shock and disbelief that this was happening, and couldn't think straight! After leaving and calming down, I remembered what I had done. I unknowingly rang the transaction up wrong. I put in my own personal money and took out my change and put it in my purse.

Here are my questions:
1) I haven't explained to my former employer what I was doing. I don't feel like he will believe me and that it would be a waist of my breath.........should I tell him?
2) I have no idea what happened to the money that is actually missing from the register. Because of previous problems with money missing there, I feel like it is still in the store. However, they believe I took it and won't look for it. I have a list of places that, again bc of previous experiences in that store, I would like for them to look.......is there anyway I can make them look?
3) I wrote them a check for the amount of money they said they were short. Yes, I realize that was stupid! I did not do that as repayment, or bc I was guilty of taking it. I believed that the money would show up shortly (bc it usually did) and they would give it back..........have I lost that money? Is there anyway I can get it back?
4) Had I been thinking clearly at the time they were showing me the video of my actions that day, I would have noticed that I had money in my hands when I walked up to the register. But while performing the actual transaction in question, all you can see on the video is my back.....not my hands, so I can't prove to them how much money I put in or took out of the register.........is there anyway to prove myself.
5) I'm starting to experience problems getting my unemployment. I've never dealt with unemployment before......any advice there?

Looking back, I realize if I had handled things differently, I wouldn't be in the mess I am today. Although the thought of revenge is at times overwhelming, all I want from them is 1) my money back 2) them to stop telling people I stole from them 3) even though all of my other former employers have said they didn't believe I did this and have given me great recommendations, I still need my last job to be a good reference bc that's were I was in the highest career position. He doesn't have to like me but I don't want him telling ppl who call for referals that I was fired for dishonesty with money.

Am I completely screwed?

1) I haven't explained to my former employer what I was doing. I don't feel like he will believe me and that it would be a waist of my breath.........should tell him?

It can't hurt. The worst that can happen is that he doesn't believe you.

2) I have no idea what happened to the money that is actually missing from the register. Because of previous problems with money missing there, I feel like it is still in the store. However, they believe I took it and won't look for it. I have a list of places that, again bc of previous experiences in that store, I would like for them to look.......is there anyway I can make them look?

Can you ask them to look? Certainly. Can you legally force them to look? No.

3) I wrote them a check for the amount of money they said they were short. Yes, I realize that was stupid! I did not do that as repayment, or bc I was guilty of taking it. I believed that the money would show up shortly (bc it usually did) and they would give it back..........have I lost that money? Is there anyway I can get it back?

I seriously doubt it. You can ask a local attorney, but in my opinion when you gave them the money you as good as confessed to the theft. It's not likely that they'll give it back to you unless the missing money is found. And possibly not then.

4) Had I been thinking clearly at the time they were showing me the video of my actions that day, I would have noticed that I had money in my hands when I walked up to the register. But while performing the actual transaction in question, all you can see on the video is my back.....not my hands, so I can't prove to them how much money I put in or took out of the register.........is there anyway to prove myself.

You mean, prove as in beyond a reasonable doubt? No.

5) I'm starting to experience problems getting my unemployment. I've never dealt with unemployment before......any advice there?

You'll have to tell me more about what you mean by "problems".

I agree with cbg on all points.

Thank you both for your advice!

Do you think it would be in my best interest to contact an attorney?

I guess I'm still just a little confused that this whole situation has happened. I know it makes no difference, but it's so hard to cope with bc my former employers and I had more than just a work place relationship.......we had a personal friendship as well. Common sense should tell them that if I was going to steal money from them, I wouldn't do it right in front of a camera. I mean I've had close to 300 thousand dollars of that stores money in my possesion taking it to the bank, etc. on more than one occasion. I could have easily taken money then, bc no one would have seen me, but I didn't. When I first started working there, I was having to work 3 jobs and still barely surviving, but I didn't steal then. And anyone that has as much experience around a cash register as I do would automatically know that you can't ring up an amount and then take that amount out and expect the register to balance. I know leagally none of those things matter but I just feel like common sense should put a small amount of doubt in their minds.......at least enough to look into it a little further. I understand why they could suspect me for doing it.....I don't understand why they didn't do any research into the event and how in two minutes they come to a conclusion that is life altering for me. I just wondered if there was anything legally I could do to force them to look into it more and see that I didn't take their money. As far as me writing them a check, I didn't think about how guilty it made me look. Personally, if I needed money bad enough to jepardize my job and future by taking it, the last thing I would do is give it back to them. They know me well enough to know that too. I haven't talked to them, bc I don't feel I would be able to control my emotions and would probably end up saying something that would cause more problems for me in the end. You said they might not give my money back even if they find the missing money......would that not be the same principle that they fired me for. If they find the money they accused me of taking, but sill keep my money, would that not be stealing? I didn't receive any goods or any type of service in exchange for that money which is what their whole business is built upon......we gave people goods in exchange for money. And if I can't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that I didn't do it, how can they prove beyond a reasonable doubt that I did? As far as my unemployment, he's fighting me on it, and of course they don't want to give benefits to someone who they believe is to blame for loosing their job. I understand that. I just don't know how to prove my innocence. That's my biggest problem with all parties concerned........I don't know how to prove I did not do this. I don't care to start over in my career. I don't like having to, but I'll be fine doing that......but how can I start over with people thinking that I'm a theif. Am I going to have to suffer for something I didn't do the rest of my life?

Again, thanks for your help and advice!

One other question.........is there anyway I can legally obtain a copy of all the videos of the day in question so that I can see all angles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back