Adult son writing $1800 in NSF checks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbOurYear

Our unemployed, homeless 23-year-old son has written numerous NSF cks in CA which currently total $1800. Although he hasn't lived w/us for years, he continues to use our address for mailing; thus the bank statements which we opened to find out what he's up to. What are the consequences for these bad checks and might he be arrested on the spot if the merchant identifies him as having passed NSF checks in the past?
Thank you.

There is probably warrants on his back for the bad checks and, yes, he can be arrested on the spot if the officer checks him out and the warrants come up.

You need to tell your son to stop giving false information to these financial institutions when it comes to the address he is using as his.

Last edited:
on a note closer to home i would be careful about whom you tell how you obtained this information because if the letter is not addressed to you or your care it is against federal law to open someone elts mail. Your son will likely be arrested for fraud and fined.

Adult son writing $1800 in NSF checks, part II

Thank you for the heads up on opening the mail. The bank has now sent him to collections. Wouldn't the bank, or the merchant, have to file a small claims action and win (although how would he be served?) in order for a warrant to be issued? I don't know how fraud matters are handled.

Since he is using your address as his address, they will be serving him at that address. You must warn him that use of a false address is also a crime punishable by law. Hope this helps!

Last detail and then I'll let this go ... We don't see son or know where he's staying. Last time we went through this he was living in his car. Guess it's just a matter of time before he's pulled over for no tags/insurance and everything somehow comes to light. Thank you for your time. It's hard for a parent to see a life with so much potential be so wasted. It's hard to let go.

I empathize with you and I hope he realizes that he has the support he needs to turn his life around. What you have to do when his correspondences comes to your home address is return them to their senders due to a non valid address. Best of luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back