Adjudication Withheld, trying to apply for Law enforcement job

Status
Not open for further replies.

longshotx

Basically I got a misdemeanor petty theft charge, and took the plea bargain instead of going to trial. The final disposition of the case was adjudication withheld. I successfully completed community service and I've since been trouble free. In terms of the law this was my only incident. Anyhow, to get straight to the point I was trying to apply for a job as I'll soon be graduating with a criminal justice degree. I wanted to intern for the local sheriff's office over the summer and then apply for Law school. How much will this charge hurt me? Should I bother with getting it sealed? Any other information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Below I have listed the major parts of the volunteer application.

Disqualifications
Any misdemeanor conviction, including pleas of nolo
contendere, involving perjury or a false statement
 Any misdemeanor conviction within the last 5 years,
involving:
*Domestic Violence or Battery
*Abuse of a child , elderly or disabled person
*DUI

Since my case was not related to perjury, Domestic violence, etc it sounds like that I can still apply but I just wanted to be sure. Again thanks.

You can apply. I see no bar. Ultimately, the agency will decide. As adjudication was withheld I suspect your conviction not to be a bar to the internship. It certainly won't inhibit your bar admission later, or law school entrance now. I know attorneys that have done far worse and were granted bar admisdion, as long as they disclosed their deed. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back