Addlink is threatening me

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandootr

I was selling mp3 copies of a Radio program that I thought was in the public domain, but apparently is not. I received a very threatening letter from the rights owner stating that they could sue me for millions of dollars. They want me to mail them information as to who the files were sold to including their addresses, which I am not comfortable with. I only sold 2 CD's of the files. I have complied by removing the content and updating the page with a direct link to them. I don't have much money and I'm not sure what I should do. My website has been setup as an LLC. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

1) They can't sue you for millions of dollars. However, copyright law can be strict and penalties can be harsh.

2) I would not provide any information to the rights owner without an agreement of some kind that also includes a release against you for any and all liability other than as explicityly stated in the agreement.

3) You can set yourself up as an LLC but that still wouldn't stop a company from suing you personally. I think they are probably more concerned with just settling this quickly.

Thanks for the reply. I did send them the info they wanted. I haven't heard back from them. I have complied with all of their requests so I'm hoping this will put an end to this. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back