additional visitation required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvstexas

I am the CP for my son, my ex has visitation and she pays child support. Our son sees his mother on twice during the week and every other weekend according to the order.
I never deviate from this schedule and plan my life around the times my son needs to go see his mother. She, however, does not do the same. She frequently cancels 10-15 mins before she is supposed to pick him up and I always document this on a calendar.
Her reasons vary: social engagement, all kinds of illnesses, flat tire, sick dog...it's ALWAYS something, every single week. She always demands that I switch days with her so she can visit her son...I usually say no because it's not like I can cancel my own plans on a whim. I'm trying to finish school, work full-time, and I make time with my son to do homework and spend quality time when it's my time with him.

She accuses me of keeping him from her but I don't see how not rearranging my plans at the last minute for her is keeping our son from seeing her. Our papers say that if the NCP forfeits visitation and the CP cannot accommodate rescheduling, that that time is lost. I document every single email and text conversation we have when she cancels on him.
Would she ever have grounds to say that I'm deliberately keep our son from her? I ask because she's threatening to take me back to court over this.

(Just tryin' to stay 2-3 steps ahead of her...she's shady.)

Just to clarify, I'm not totally against switching days. I'm not trying to be a harda**.
We do switch occasionally. But for example, tis week she cancelled her Tuesday visit 10 minutes before meetnig and asked for Wednesday instead, I said ok and she cancelled on Wednesday too 20 minutes before I was supposed to meet her.
Then she became upset when she asked for Friday and I had already had plans to take our son to a family BBQ. This is just an example how often she cancels and asks for another day.
I've suggested that we modify the order for Tuesdays and Wednesdays or whatever if the days ordered don't work for her. She just thinks I should "be there for her" and I guess she expects me to understand and oblige when she doesn't make her visitation her priority.

Since you're documenting everything, I don't see how she can prove that you're deliberately keeping the child from her.

You might want to let her know that you've got documentation of every cancellation and every time you've accommodated her. Maybe she'll back off.

Good luck, she sounds like a winner of a mom.

You have no idea. :)
Thanks for the reply. I have told her I document every email, phone conversation and text. I think she thinks I'm bluffing...which I don't see how she can think that since it was all the documentation that helped me gain full custody of our son. I guess some people don't learn as quick.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back