Adding my huband to my son's birth certificate

Status
Not open for further replies.

snuggledbunny05

I am looking for any helpful advice or information, about adding a father to a birth certificate in Texas. I was in a VERY bad relationship, where I was mentally and physically abused daily but was afraid of the guy so I never did anything about it. I ended up getting pregnant, and made two last minute decisions...one of which I kick my self daily for. Number one, I gave the baby his last name. Number two, we discussed it and he did not want to be on the birth certificate. That was fine by me, because I'd had enough of the abuse and didn't think we would last. I also didn't want conflict with him trying to take my child and skip the country. Well, after getting home from the hospital (which went terrible) we only lasted about 3 months. He took off and only came to visit one time about a month later and only stayed for ten minutes. Haven't heard from him, or seen him since then. I began seeing a close find of mine shortly after all of this happened, and he has been the only one there for my son since he was about five months old. He took care of us and acted like what a dad should. My son is now three, and I just got married to the one who has been taking care of us all this time. My son calls him daddy and loves him so much. My question is...since there is no name on the birth certificate for a father, (and this man has been his only father..and is now my husband) can he be put on the birth certificate? He wants this, as bad as I do. We wanted to change my son's last name to match ours as well, and if possible we can just get it all taken care of at once. I just needed to know, if knowing that my husband is not the "biological father" and him signing anything could get us in trouble somehow? Such as acknowledgment of paternity papers, etc.

Your current sweetie will have to adopt the kid.

Hire a lawyer.

you'll have to google the laws in your state regarding a time frame to have someone added as the father. At this stage of the game, it's probably too late and the courts would likely want a DNA test. Now if the ex is willing to terminate his rights and your husband adopt

I have been doing some research, as far as the laws. I haven't found exactly all I need though. My only thing, is that my ex has not contacted me though he knows how. I don't know how to contact him, nor do I really have a want to do so. Also, I don't know if they will have to find him because he is on no documentation, including the birth certificate. There is something I read that says all I need is a certified copy of my marriage license and a $25 dollar fee. It doesn't mention a time frame that it has to be done though. It does say that in most cases if the biological father has not been there for a year or longer with no contact, that is pretty much a voluntary termination of rights. It's just so confusing. LoL

Last edited:
You have to have an adoption proceeding.

The father may or may not have his parental rights terminated.

As I said earlier, get a lawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back