Adding a "Special Stipulation" to A Will?

PR660

Jurisdiction
California
**(I will be meeting with an attorney after completion of my will to the best of my ability.)

I've decided to list two co-executors in my will. A main beneficiary is one of them, and the other is a much younger, very bright 18yr-old, long-time tennis student of mine.

There are many valuable tangible items that will require liquidation and the main beneficiary is completely clueless about this and selling items on Ebay, Craigslist, OfferUp etc. I'd like the younger co-executor to assist in this endeavor and be compensated 15-20% of sales revenue generated from the items as compensation.

1) How (and where) does one address this in a will? Should this be in a separate attached document?

2) I have a document that has photographs of all the tangible items with current market values. Should this be in an attached document?

3) I also have an "instruction sheet" that outlines exactly "what to do" immediately upon my death. Should this also be included in an attachment to the will?

Thanks very much for your help!

1) How (and where) does one address this in a will? Should this be in a separate attached document?

You specify the duties of each executor in the will.

2) I have a document that has photographs of all the tangible items with current market values. Should this be in an attached document?

No. For one thing, by the time you die "current market values" will be irrelevant. The inventory and photos should be kept with your other valuable papers.

3) I also have an "instruction sheet" that outlines exactly "what to do" immediately upon my death. Should this also be included in an attachment to the will?

That could go either way depending on how long the list is. Keep in mind that, when you die, your executors should have flexibility in how they handle your estate.

I've decided to list two co-executors in my will.

Please think twice about this. What happens of the two co-execs don't agree about something?

As for your questions:

1. How? With words that clearly express your intent. Where? It doesn't matter. No need for a separate document.

2. No way for persons unfamiliar with the situation to address this intelligently.

3. If it has nothing to do with the disposition of your estate, no.

Serious question: Why do you (seemingly) want to micromanage all of this stuff after you die? It will not benefit you at all, and it could hamstring those who are left behind. I suggest you talk about this with your attorney.

Back